January 21-23, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

2 minutes ago, NKYSnowLover said:

It's gone to pelletized snow. Definitely can tell there is a thin warm layer in the mid layer of the column.

It didn’t last too long. When I caught some in my hand I couldn’t tell if it was snow pellets or sleet. It was more snowy than icy looking if that makes sense so it may have been pellets. But those went away as soon as heavier returns moved back in. 
Currently look from this Kroger parking lot before I drive back home.

4 minutes ago, Snow____ said:

It didn’t last too long. When I caught some in my hand I couldn’t tell if it was snow pellets or sleet. It was more snowy than icy looking if that makes sense so it may have been pellets. But those went away as soon as heavier returns moved back in. 
Currently look from this Kroger parking lot before I drive back home.

IMG_1375.MOV

Yeah, it's definitely not sleet here. It's not pingers. It's just clearly half melted snow. 

That said, we've gone back under a light to moderate band and the full sized flakes came back.

We're (Florence, KY) a smidge under 5" now.

• LIKE 1

Quick road report for cbus. Side streets are mostly slush depending on where you are. Highways are just wet. Make sure you have plenty of wiper fluid.

Edited by Jeffro

1 minute ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Also this is the absolute perfect packing snow, it's actually not as wet as I thought it would be, at least yet

Agree - hard to say with certainty, but I'd venture to guess that this was no less than 10:1 ratio snow - maybe even a tick better than that during the heaviest banding.

16 minutes ago, NKYSnowLover said:

Yeah, it's definitely not sleet here. It's not pingers. It's just clearly half melted snow. 

That said, we've gone back under a light to moderate band and the full sized flakes came back.

We're (Florence, KY) a smidge under 5" now.

Son as I read this it started snowing moderately here as well. Big flakes are back.