January 21-23, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

• Moderators

For us N OH folks from CLE.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH MONDAY/... As the upper-level trough begins to approach the area from the west, light to moderate snowfall has already begun across the western counties this morning, with visibilities dropping as low at 1/4SM at times. As deep moisture advection is expected to increase across the eastern counties this morning, near saturation in the DGZ will allow for efficient snowfall, with up to 1"/hour rates at times. SPC has also highlighted this heavy snow potential in a mesoscale discussion. As a result of this shift in the forecast, a Winter Weather Advisory has been issued for counties along and east of I71 through tonight. Areas in the snowbelt expire Monday afternoon to account for the lake enhanced snow on the backside of the system. Although totals will be marginal with 2-4 inches expected, the potential for impacts resulting from heavy bursts of snow aided in the decision to issue the advisory.

• LIKE 1

3 minutes ago, Snow____ said:

To be fair for this system not much guidance had 4-6 inches falling. The hi res models started picking up on it but they weren’t going to go warning. 
I love a mid game warning issuance. It’s pretty exciting to me. 

That’s true but still there was models showing possibility . They didn’t even wanna issue a WWA till this morning 

4 minutes ago, Snow____ said:

To be fair for this system not much guidance had 4-6 inches falling. The hi res models started picking up on it but they weren’t going to go warning. 

I don’t think it’s about the warning…zero WWA until the snow started falling. It’s the same old same old. 

Edited by Mulaman984
  • THUMBS UP 3

3 minutes ago, Snow____ said:

2 minutes ago, Snow____ said:

😂😂😂😂😂 I know they really didn’t want to issue one but you really have to with 4 inches on the ground.

I'm starting to learn that the best systems happen when ILN doesn't issue headlines ahead of time.

• LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • TROPHY 1

Just now, Bman10 said:

That’s true but still there was models showing possibility . They didn’t even wanna issue a WWA till this morning 

I’d agree there. I was wondering as of last night why where wasn’t a WWA out.

Just now, Mulaman984 said:

I don’t think it’s about the warning…zero WSW until the snow started falling. 

I was wondering why there wasn’t a WWA out when they were forecasting 1-2 inches. At the most a WWA should have 100% been issued.

• LIKE 1

2 minutes ago, NKYSnowLover said:

I'm starting to learn that the best systems happen when ILN doesn't issue headlines ahead of time.

This is true. We’ve gotten the best snows when that happens lol. 2 years ago we got a surprise 6 inches. I want to say almost to the day lol.

• LIKE 2

1 minute ago, BoroBuckeye said:

Compare this to the actual snow!  Wow!

In all fairness, had the temps been 33-35°, we also wouldn't be getting what we are right now and this picture would be more the reality.

The temps across the area are anywhere between 30-31. Goes to show what a measly 3-4° can do in winter when it comes to snow.

• THUMBS UP 2

10 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Somebody's going to cash in on a 6" storm out of this thing - unbelievable

Hey guys sounds like you guys ate getting a nice overpeformer. Any clues as to why, colder, low farther south/east etc? Trying to look ahead to us in the NE that are on the fringes of snow/ mix/ rain.

Glad you guys getting ❄️ 

• LIKE 1

4 minutes ago, Snow____ said:

I was wondering why there wasn’t a WWA out when they were forecasting 1-2 inches. At the most a WWA should have 100% been issued.

I said the same thing yesterday when they put out a SWS saying 2-3” with locally higher. 3” here is WWA criteria. Now here we are with a WSW. Just crazy.

1 minute ago, HVSNOWSTORM said:

Hey guys sounds like you guys ate getting a nice overpeformer. Any clues as to why, colder, low farther south/east etc? Trying to look ahead to us in the NE that are on the fringes of snow/ mix/ rain.

Glad you guys getting ❄️ 

Anecdotally speaking, the overnight low last night dropped to 25 here, several degrees lower than the forecast. That took care of any warm ground issues & snow accumulated right away from the start. The morning snowfall has happened with temps in the 30-31 range, whereas many model runs were showing 33-34 degree snowfall. A couple degrees on the colder side has made a huge difference! 

• LIKE 3
  • LOVE 1

1 minute ago, snowlover2 said:

I said the same thing yesterday when they put out a SWS saying 2-3” with locally higher. 3” here is WWA criteria. Now here we are with a WSW. Just crazy.

Yeah I was definitely. I was waiting for the trigger and then nothing. I’ve seen WWA’s for a dusting maybe up to an inch.

1 minute ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Anecdotally speaking, the overnight low last night dropped to 25 here, several degrees lower than the forecast. That took care of any warm ground issues & snow accumulated right away from the start. The morning snowfall has happened with temps in the 30-31 range, whereas many model runs were showing 33-34 degree snowfall. A couple degrees on the colder side has made a huge difference! 

Yeah I think that’s the main thing. Not just that but at least for here there was expected to be a mix with rain once the temps raised but the temps have remained below freezing and no mixing in sight.

• LIKE 1

I don’t remember where I read it but when the new GFS upgrade came out one of the things they tried to fix was the snow map being more accurate. I honestly think they made it worse and I’ve noticed some really odd totals it puts out on occasion. Seems like it was well too low with this system.

Edited by SNOWBOB11
  • LIKE 1

5 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Perfect summary!

• THUMBS UP 1