January 21-23, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

I trohpied the RGEM for the 12-14 storm as having been the lone wolf to call that out on the WARM weaker side (which transpired) I'm not crowning it yet here but it seems to have pegged a colder stronger side that models might actually be picking up....

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45

RGEM snowfall is a little deceiving. Map shows snow but I’m guessing it’s rain for MBY just south of Columbus. Sounding best guess is rain. Something to look at if you’re right on the border of rain/snow. WAA is a 🤬 Not trying to be a Debbie Downer. 🤪 At least it’s trending in the right direction for a lot people. 

FADD9E71-E487-47D1-82EF-7443CE64F76F.png

CEB91EF2-09AF-4FE2-8376-CB08ECFD917F.png

8 minutes ago, cperry29 said:

RGEM snowfall is a little deceiving. Map shows snow but I’m guessing it’s rain for MBY just south of Columbus. Sounding best guess is rain. Something to look at if you’re right on the border of rain/snow. WAA is a 🤬 Not trying to be a Debbie Downer. 🤪 At least it’s trending in the right direction for a lot people. 

FADD9E71-E487-47D1-82EF-7443CE64F76F.png

CEB91EF2-09AF-4FE2-8376-CB08ECFD917F.png

Those are 2M temps-so isn't it possible the upper air is cold enough for snow, but it's likely to melt on contact/shortly after since its not cold enough at the surface to stick?

• THUMBS UP 1

2 minutes ago, Wnwniner said:

Those are 2M temps-so isn't it possible the upper air is cold enough for snow, but it's likely to melt on contact/shortly after since its not cold enough at the surface to stick?

Yep.  I've seen it snow at 40 degrees @ 2 meters.  Doesn't accumulate well (obviously) but can add up on grassy areas especially where solar energy can't get to it.

1 minute ago, Wnwniner said:

I’d say so. My post was referencing accumulation. Snow depth may be a better indicator of accumulation as seen on the GFS. RGEM doesn’t have a snow depth option as far as I can tell. Just spitballing here 😂

4BDEDBC6-3654-4CFD-9A83-8E8E906DFE84.png

• LIKE 1

21 minutes ago, cperry29 said:

I’d say so. My post was referencing accumulation. Snow depth may be a better indicator of accumulation as seen on the GFS. RGEM doesn’t have a snow depth option as far as I can tell. Just spitballing here 😂

4BDEDBC6-3654-4CFD-9A83-8E8E906DFE84.png

Totally agree on the snow depth front! 👍

In my mind, it’s helpful to get this storm out of the way before focusing on the 24-26th. There’s bound to be small nuances the models can’t pick up on til this storm is over with. At least that’s what I’m telling myself. 🙂

• LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 1