January 18-20, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

3 hours ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

Seems like we're in the medium range doldrums now that the system in question is in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. I circled this storm in green on the 00z Thursday analysis:

Since the system was sampled as it tracked across the east coast of Asia on Tuesday/Wednesday it's plausible that older runs were better. EPS means made a substantial jump (from north IN to south IL) with the 12z Thursday run when it moved offshore so take trends since 00z Thursday with a grain of salt. 

Assuming the above analysis isn't completely false then I'd expect a ~996mb low within the green oval at 12z Thursday morning. Posting here so that I can come back on Thursday and double-check.

145871679_12zThulowguess996mb.thumb.png.6e2d6bcdf65be39559f43cf344eac466.png

"Since the system was sampled as it tracked across the east coast of Asia on Tuesday/Wednesday it's plausible that older runs were better. EPS means made a substantial jump (from north IN to south IL) with the 12z Thursday run when it moved offshore so take trends since 00z Thursday with a grain of salt.

Thank you for this. I had always wondered why it seemed to appear to me that there were many times a long range run that ended up looking similar to how the storm actually ended up happening. Never thought about how the energy was originally sampled in a good area, then lost, then resampled over a good area again. Now that makes sense how a long rane solution can sometimes be more plausible than a midrange solution.

• THUMBS UP 1

15 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

I'm going to go ahead & start up a thread for this unicorn GOM low that the 12z GFS spawns following this storm. One of these has to eventually hit big, right? 🤡

gfs.gif

Maybe hold off on that...🤣

image.png.3c19e544a8842b1177b425d8144fd928.png

• SAD 1
  • LAUGH 1

• Meteorologist

12z EPS actually improved with snowfall here. I won't count anything out yet. At this point with the pre-Christmas storm it looked like we were going to get crushed only for it to be a very quick hitter (freezing drizzle was our biggest impact outside of the snow squall). Hope we do see some good ensembles trends here over the next couple of days. 

• LIKE 1