January 13-15, 2023 | Winter Storm Potential

Penn State

• Admin
31 minutes ago, GregRups said:

Its looks more NW for sure at hour 66. Lets see if it comes further north towards hour 84 like RGEM

The RGEM seemed to be on this pretty early on. Provided the favorable trend continues.

• Meteorologist
50 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Hires FV3 ticked west. I have concerns about this model in it's current skill level, as it's supposed to replace the NAM.

fv3-hires_ref_frzn_neus_fh39_trend.thumb.gif.742786cab5ec873b40bed35f7e7b3786.gif

Eventually it will take over but until the NAM is no longer wanted it looks to stay.

The spacing between system is definitely there enough that it actually enhances the jet over the NW Atlantic and allows this to tuck. I mentioned it the other day SNE and Maine look to have some fun with this. It may just be coastal areas of SNE but nonetheless areas around Boston may get snow.

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

At 11:20 am, we have 32F and moderate snow with heavier bands moving through. Flake size is large and everything is white. Rain is expected later. Looks like 75 miles to my north will get hit with heavy snow. It seems the winter of the storms wanting to stay in Canada. 

• LIKE 1

• Moderators

If we didn't another damn incoming Pacific storm messing with that ridge, pressing it into the center of the country....think we could get that negative tilt and this could have been good one....but that pressing ridge keeps it neutral to positively tilted.

Nice confluence across the northeast means a colder solution for the 20th per the 12z CMC, but still think we're looking at another cutter. 

Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 11.24.19 AM.png

I think I've been GFS'd.  GFS has western VT getting heavy snow tomorrow while the NAM has the precipitation to the north once it gets cold. GFS has me down for 7" while the NAM says less than 1".   It is usually the other way around for these two models. 

GFS

image.thumb.png.62fd12c1fe43067c1a3668dca2ba3155.png

NAM

image.thumb.png.7167fffe00d7dec51fd00617c4b82617.png

• Admin
1 minute ago, NEPAsnow said:

its wrong in NEPA as well.  Its 35 and rain

It seems to have a warm bias, and I know CAD is notoriously difficult for the models, but I can't remember seeing a model so far off just, 11 hours after it's run