January 13-15, 2023 | Winter Storm Potential

Penn State

• Moderators

Police cruisers are out en force....big-time weekend to help town coffers with out-of-towner's money. Drove by four on the way to get kids from school earlier.  Pretty sure @TheRex knows one of them....

Was 32F on my car thermometer coming back through the pass, but nothing frozen noted, still liquid-y stuff hitting my windshield. 33F here at my house.

Edited by telejunkie
  • LIKE 1

21 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

Police cruisers are out en force....big-time weekend to help town coffers with out-of-towner's money. Drove by four on the way to get kids from school earlier.  Pretty sure @TheRex knows one of them....

Was 32F on my car thermometer coming back through the pass, but nothing frozen noted, still liquid-y stuff hitting my windshield. 33F here at my house.

You must have seen the guy from Mt. Tabor.  He went to the Barney Fife School of Policing. For those outside VT, that town is famous in VT for handing out tickets. Luckily, I never got a ticket there, but must have seen 100s of cars pulled over on that stretch of route 7 during all the years we drove up to our weekend house from NJ. It was the only part of the drive that I wouldn't dare drive faster that the posted speed limit. 

We have received about 2" of snow today. I was out earlier and roads were treacherous with several cars sliding off the road. I think a couple local towns didn't see the updated forecast for ice and snow. 

• LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 1

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, TheRex said:

You must have seen the guy from Mt. Tabor.  He went to the Barney Fife School of Policing. For those outside VT, that town is famous in VT for handing out tickets. Luckily, I never got a ticket there, but must have seen 100s of cars pulled over on that stretch of route 7 during all the years we drove up to our weekend house from NJ. It was the only part of the drive that I wouldn't dare drive faster that the posted speed limit. 

We have received about 2" of snow today. I was out earlier and roads were treacherous with several cars sliding off the road. I think a couple local towns didn't see the updated forecast for ice and snow. 

Bingo. He's a legend, in all the wrong ways. Luckily I get the wave from him, being on a local FD.

Never noticed we switched to snow....but have a thin veneer down now. Quark sized "flakes"

• LAUGH 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Wayuphere said:

I’m under the “x” in the word Foxcroft.  Should avoid the heavier freezing rain to the East but a sleet fest is likely.

417B62AE-75B9-4549-9A5B-4AC27904D6A0.png

These surface maps are outrageous. Gotta go east of Nantucket to get the snow?!

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_33.thumb.png.fe3f1a9a0c7541a10d5c4801484ce24f.png

Latest discussion update from Caribou is worrisome due to the unknown….I vote for the sleet over the freezing rain.

“National Weather Service Caribou ME 1251 PM EST Sun Jan 15 2023 .SYNOPSIS... High pressure will remain northwest of Maine through Tuesday, while a strong ocean low lifts to the Maritimes. The low then slowly moves northeast across the Maritimes through mid week. && .NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/... 955am update... ***Major Mixed Precipitation Event Tonight and Monday*** Sleet and freezing rain will overspread the area tonight into Monday. Precipitation amounts continue to trend upward. The warming trend aloft continues with 12Z guidance for the southeastern corner of the forecast area to include Washington County, Hancock County, and southern Aroostook County. This means more freezing rain. Amounts over a half inch are becoming increasing likely in those areas and now have those amounts in the forecast Downeast. Combined with winds gusting to 35 mph in that area tomorrow, widespread power outages are becoming a growing concern. Increases in freezing rain amounts also seem likely for Penobscot County and NE Aroostook County. In portions of eastern Aroostook, trees are already weighted down from ice accretion last Friday. In addition to power outage concerns, the combination of sleet and freezing rain will have major implications for travel and clean up. The event will start with little or no snow before going to sleet...and then freezing rain. The challenge in the forecast will be getting H850 temps right with the variety of solutions ranging from the warm NAM to colder GFS. This will determine the distributions of sleet and freezing rain. 12Z guidance has trended warmer across the board. Will have to take a hard look at existing warnings and advisories for potential upgrades.”

• SAD 1
  • YUCK 1

NOAA Caribou 4:30 update, not good.  This is really going to catch people by surprise based on local media underplaying, so far.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH MONDAY/... ***Major Mixed Precipitation Event Tonight and Monday*** Sleet and freezing rain will overspread the area tonight into Monday. Precipitation amounts have continued to trend upward with guidance today. There is deep Atlantic moisture being transported by an intense surface low. PWs will surge towards 0.8 to 1 inch tonight into Monday. A strong low level jet and some instability aloft will enhance precip totals. Expect precip in two waves...the current activity near the coast that will move north tonight and then a stronger impulse will rotate northwestward into the area later tonight through Monday. The warming trend aloft has continued with 12Z and 18Z guidance for the entire forecast area. This means more freezing rain. Amounts over three-quarters of an inch are becoming increasing likely for interior Downeast. Combined with winds gusting to 35 mph in that area tomorrow, widespread power outages are becoming a growing concern. Increases in freezing rain amounts have also been specified for the rest of the area compared to our past forecasts. This was in coordination with WPC.

• SHOCKED 2
  • SAD 1

Hanging at 27.3° F with a dew that’s crept up to 19.3°.  Consistent N/NE wind mid 20’s gusting to mid 30’s mph. A few wind blown raindrops with some flakes. Gonna be a “side sticker”, side of trees, houses, etc…..hoping for the bouncy sleet instead.

Edited by Wayuphere
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Admin

28.2° with freezing drizzle.

12 hours ago, Wayuphere said:

I thought I could smell some nice Caribbean air while out with the dog.  Quite the fetch.

A4059F36-4B59-4C89-8040-38C8769B9ED3.png

I'll blame my old man, he's in the U.S.V.I. right now, and for another month.  He has tired of winter.

• LAUGH 1
  • LOVE 2