December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

Well, as far as big snows go, this entire board can just about throw in the towel IMO. Pretty consistent model to model runs. 

Still think this will be a major storm as far as wind, blowing snow, and power outages go but it's not going to be the monster 12"+ that we thought it would be a couple days ago. 

Honestly we should've all seen this coming considering this is the first "real" potential major storm of the year. Of course nobody here wins lol

Edited by MidMichiganWx

1 minute ago, MidMichiganWx said:

Well, as far as big snows go, this entire board can just about throw in the towel IMO. Pretty consistent model to model runs. 

Still think this will be a major storm as far as wind, blowing snow, and power outages go but it's not going to be the monster 12"+ that we thought it would be a couple days ago. 

Stating the obvious but I’m not really down with losing power with those temps following. It becomes downright dangerous for some folks. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

1 minute ago, cperry29 said:

Stating the obvious but I’m not really down with losing power with those temps following. It becomes downright dangerous for some folks. 

Agreed. As far as a “winter storm” is concerned, this isn’t the standard/usual, but we are certainly getting “hit” by it, even if not in what we would typically consider the “sweet spot”.

• THUMBS UP 1

3 minutes ago, cperry29 said:

Trying to find a hotel with power on Christmas Eve does not sound fun!

• THUMBS UP 2

• Meteorologist
6 minutes ago, MidMichiganWx said:

Honestly we should've all seen this coming considering this is the first "real" potential major storm of the year. Of course nobody here wins lol

I know there is no love west of say Chicago but I wouldn't be surprised if we had some 10"+ measurements from the initial wave/WAA Wednesday night. Snow ratios should be higher consider the wind field hasn't developed and forecast soundings show a favorable DGZ. Then the fun starts.... 

2 minutes ago, Jenny said:

I think as the short term models start coming in to play they'll start picking up on lake activity that's not being modeled right now.   Especially off Michigan and Erie.

Good point. I imagine with the wind and position of the low, there will be some beefier than normal streamers coming off Lake Michigan into western and northern Ohio. 

• THUMBS UP 1

4 minutes ago, NWsnowhio said:

Good point. I imagine with the wind and position of the low, there will be some beefier than normal streamers coming off Lake Michigan into western and northern Ohio. 

This is why I’m trying to keep the optimism. The streamers should hold longer than usual and make their way towards Toledo. You can even see this on the modeling. Probably the only thing keeping us from being a 1-2” nuisance snow at this point.

1 minute ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

FWIW... we won't have full sampling of this system until Wednesday morning. It's currently over the extreme NE Pacific/off the coast of Canada.

gfs_z500_vort_namer_1.thumb.png.53eb9235ad577ca19cb9251a0badf1e0.png

image.thumb.png.e957a4349f776cce832d061a533f5ebc.png

I'm trying to holdout this as hope but the model consistency has been pretty strong with this one. 

Keeping the faith - we in Central Ohio recall the Jan 2019 event where a foot of snow on a Saturday was still being called with certainty on Friday night, and we ended up with rain and around 3” overnight (albeit with lots of blowing and drifting).  Would like to get a surprise the other way, especially as brutal cold with little snow would be the ultimate insult.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 3
  • TROPHY 1

8 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

Keeping the faith - we in Central Ohio recall the Jan 2019 event where a foot of snow on a Saturday was still being called with certainty on Friday night, and we ended up with rain and around 3” overnight (albeit with lots of blowing and drifting).  Would like to get a surprise the other way, especially as brutal cold with little snow would be the ultimate insult.

Oh I remember, that was sad.

Although once we finally got the change over, it was decent.

• THUMBS UP 1