December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

Just now, NWsnowhio said:

Yes. People tend to either really like him or not so much. I have always enjoyed his take on things and tend to trust the experience he has locally. 

He nailed a storm 3 days in advance last year that had local mets predicting 22" of snow. He predicted 7-13" area-wide, written on the back of an envelope as he used chopsticks and video of his computer screen to do his thing. Actual snow maps the next morning? Not one under 7"...not one over 13".   Money.

Bill's a great personality. We used to chat regularly via email when he first started at 13, he told me a few times that too many meteorologists today are reliant on technology (models) as opposed to studying climatology and basic weather physics. He got a kick out of doing more as he called it, "pencil and paper" type forecasting rather than looking at what a computer is spitting out. He has a plethora of experience and it shows in moments like this.

• TROPHY 1

3 minutes ago, NWsnowhio said:

Yes. People tend to either really like him or not so much. I have always enjoyed his take on things and tend to trust the experience he has locally. 

He nailed a storm 3 days in advance last year that had local mets predicting 22" of snow. He predicted 7-13" area-wide, written on the back of an envelope as he used chopsticks and video of his computer screen to do his thing. Actual snow maps the next morning? Not one under 7"...not one over 13".   Money.

He’s great. Wrap it up folks! BlizzardBill has spoken! Toledo won’t get more than 4” for the event 

• LAUGH 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

If I were looking at these tele's & you simply told me a winter storm was coming associated with an Arctic blast, I'd never guess this would be a Midwest snowstorm. I'd be saying OV, GL possibly even EC or even possibly Tenn V. But I'd never guess upper Midwest. 

-NAO...with blocking south of Davis strait

Screenshot_20221219-115901_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cef711c2609d72657f5abe9945ef3a77.jpg

Steep rising PNA

Screenshot_20221219-115925_Chrome.thumb.jpg.05f3fb0bc4f04dacbf85f71d683df6cc.jpg

deep -AO

Screenshot_20221219-115942_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d338f47d4ff3a16541ac864b5c83339f.jpg

Deep -EPO

Screenshot_20221219-120002_Chrome.thumb.jpg.42ca9d80c170dd7f7ad8ca850235a720.jpg

Edited by Grace
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

12 minutes ago, Snow____ said:

In all serious you might want to think about taking them down. I know it’s not in the spirit but may save you a headache if having to clean up or save you money on replacing damaged or missing lights.

It is all good.  We get a lot of wind at our place.  It is all staked down and good to go.

1 minute ago, Grace said:

If I were looking at these tele's & you simply told me a winter storm was coming associated with an Arctic blast, I'd never guess this would be a Midwest snowstorm. I'd be saying OV, GL possibly even EC or even possibly Tenn V. But I'd never guess upper Midwest. 

-NAO...with blocking south of Davis strait

Steep rising PNA

deep -AO

Deep -EPO

I’m a bit shocked too that this storm looks to be able to cut so heavy NW. With the pattern I too would have been sure it would have been closer to a western apps runner.

• LIKE 1

4 minutes ago, Grace said:

12z Euro closes UL off really fast. So it's inevitable SLP heads north west of other 12z. 

This allows SLP to strengthen faster.

trend-ecmwf_full-2022121912-f084.prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus.gif

It also allows a lot of the snow to be stacked north if SLP.

We all need to root for the UL to not close off so fast. We also need to hope this digs further south which tele's suggest would.

Edited by Grace

1 minute ago, ryanmkay said:

My biggest fear from this storm. 

It's very concerning. We've had several high wind events this year, can imagine there are a lot of weakened trees, power poles, etc. sitting out there just waiting for something to give them a little nudge...I told my wife we need to have a contingency plan in case we lose power since we have two young children. I hope people realize at least in our area that the snow threat is minimal.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 4