December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

6 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

sometimes I hate being the "weather guy", my wife was supposed to fly to Chicago on the 23rd in time for Christmas to see her family, and she would spend this week with myself and my family before Christmas. I basically just had to make the recommendation she needs to fly out on the 21st or she's not gonna make it. I absolutely hate making that call because this whole thing could fall apart and really not be that bad (I know it sounds crazy but we've seen it time and time again) and then I've sent my wife away for the holidays early because of some dumb decision I've made because I am obsessed with weather lol. But the alternative of me not butting in and then her getting stranded in Columbus and not see her family is also not what I want on my mind

Good call.  Always error on the side of caution.  

• LIKE 1

8 minutes ago, RobB said:

That stinks.  I get that!  It's said all the time, better safe than sorry...

Yes. 
I’ve already told my sister we probably won’t be driving out there for Christmas Day; even though shes only one county over, but she’s way out there in the country.
45 minutes away. It’s just not worth the possibility of getting stranded on whatever road it is. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, CrazyINwx said:

No. Salt doesn’t work below 20°. That’s why a majority of road departments including INDOT have gone to a brine solution. 

2 hours ago, Wnwniner said:

We have multiple products, including salt, calcium, and beet juice, all of which have various pros/cons.  But not much works when its that cold...

Technically salt still does work at low temps (<20) but the amount needed increases to the point that's its not physically practical to put that much salt down, thus additives like calcium are used.

• Meteorologist
1 minute ago, Ingyball said:

There's that Minnesota storm! 

snow.000046.png

We're already going to see a high-end winter storm/blizzard conditions so why not bury me while we're at it? XD

Don't be surprised to see some impressive messaging come out this afternoon.

• LIKE 1

As Friday's Alert Day winter storm draws closer, the specific details will become more clear. It's too early to talk snow amounts, but a storm track impacting the lower Great Lakes is growing increasingly likely. Area from Chicago to Cleveland could end up in the bullseye.

From Toledo Met.

2 minutes ago, ryanmkay said:

As Friday's Alert Day winter storm draws closer, the specific details will become more clear. It's too early to talk snow amounts, but a storm track impacting the lower Great Lakes is growing increasingly likely. Area from Chicago to Cleveland could end up in the bullseye.

From Toledo Met.

Magic 8-Ball says - "ask again later".

• LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist

Despite a downtrend the Canadian ensembles would still be pretty good. Widespread 2-4" for my area. Of course that's using 10-1 so we're probably talking about 4-8" in that case and blizzard conditions. Just need to flip back to not being as dry lol

1 hour ago, beaver56 said:

Not the best picture, but my house is in the red circle.  It is about 2 acres worth.  I need help!

Screenshot_20221217_201157_Gallery.jpg

In all serious you might want to think about taking them down. I know it’s not in the spirit but may save you a headache if having to clean up or save you money on replacing damaged or missing lights.

Just now, ncinthenext3 said:

He's been a pretty fun follow for this event.

Yes. People tend to either really like him or not so much. I have always enjoyed his take on things and tend to trust the experience he has locally. 

He nailed a storm 3 days in advance last year that had local mets predicting 22" of snow. He predicted 7-13" area-wide, written on the back of an envelope as he used chopsticks and video of his computer screen to do his thing. Actual snow maps the next morning? Not one under 7"...not one over 13".   Money.

30 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

Despite a downtrend the Canadian ensembles would still be pretty good. Widespread 2-4" for my area. Of course that's using 10-1 so we're probably talking about 4-8" in that case and blizzard conditions. Just need to flip back to not being as dry lol

With winds this high, ratios will probably be close to 10:1 regardless of temperatures. Cold temps and high winds favors small flakes that more efficiently reduce visibility, but don't accumulate as quickly.

• THUMBS UP 1