December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

• Meteorologist
51 minutes ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

Eventually the models will go too far then trend back east a bit, but I don't think that'll happen until they go farther west of what the Euro has been showing. 

It's going to be a rough storm, a good time to stay inside. 

Unless this thing takes a hike to the East Coast... I am expecting significant blowing snow/winds across much of the region (western great lakes/upper miss). The WAA precipitation should do enough damage with higher SLRs shown on latest guidance. It'll be a long week for many WFOs/CWSUs.

• LIKE 2

8 minutes ago, Jpfalcon said:

Not sure if it's east as it is just faster with the arctic front and associated energy. The low track still looks about the same if you plot it out from the 6z run.

Definitely think it's a little faster, but I think it's also quite a bit more east. Fwiw, here's a few frames of both models.  6z first then 12z.

floop-gfs-2022121906.prateptype_cat.conus.gif

floop-gfs-2022121912.prateptype_cat.conus.gif

• Meteorologist
3 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

GEFS

trend-gefsens-2022121912-f126.sn10_acc-mean-imp.conus.gif

Like I said, one of the fastest trends away from from snow I've seen. Not concerned just yet, probably won't be till Wednesday if that trough stays shallower.

• THUMBS UP 1

Just now, Bradjl2009 said:

I feel like I've heard before that the UK model is good for low placement, but can often underdo precip amounts.

All the ops were somewhat drier with their runs but I personally will not worry about QPF until much closer to storm.  All about the track and intensity for me!

• THUMBS UP 2

1 minute ago, RobB said:

All the ops were somewhat drier with their runs but I personally will not worry about QPF until much closer to storm.  All about the track and intensity for me!

They definitely were and I agree there's no point of getting worked up over if there's a snow hole or something of the like of over your town at the moment. I do feel like that I've heard more than a few times though that the UK model can have a dryness bias.

• LIKE 1

4 minutes ago, RobB said:

I liken it to a severe weather event. A couple days out and youre in the slight riskis good. But as you near the date, it can often be upgraded to something more substantial. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

sometimes I hate being the "weather guy", my wife was supposed to fly to Chicago on the 23rd in time for Christmas to see her family, and she would spend this week with myself and my family before Christmas. I basically just had to make the recommendation she needs to fly out on the 21st or she's not gonna make it. I absolutely hate making that call because this whole thing could fall apart and really not be that bad (I know it sounds crazy but we've seen it time and time again) and then I've sent my wife away for the holidays early because of some dumb decision I've made because I am obsessed with weather lol. But the alternative of me not butting in and then her getting stranded in Columbus and not see her family is also not what I want on my mind

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 4
  • TROPHY 1

• Admin
Just now, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

sometimes I hate being the "weather guy", my wife was supposed to fly to Chicago on the 23rd in time for Christmas to see her family, and she would spend this week with myself and my family before Christmas. I basically just had to make the recommendation she needs to fly out on the 21st or she's not gonna make it. I absolutely hate making that call because this whole thing could fall apart and really not be that bad (I know it sounds crazy but we've seen it time and time again) and then I've sent my wife away for the holidays early because of some dumb decision I've made because I am obsessed with weather lol. But the alternative of me not butting in and then her getting stranded in Columbus and not see her family is also not what I want on my mind

Understand your ugh.. but I think this was a smart call. Even if the snow doesn't happen, those winds will cancel flights like nobody's business.

• LIKE 4
  • THUMBS UP 3

Just now, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

That stinks.  I get that!  It's said all the time, better safe than sorry...

1 minute ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Good call IMO

• LIKE 2