December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

Just now, ryanmkay said:

Correct. At this point, with wind gusts that high and the freeze behind, my attention has been drawn much more to this aspect of it than the snow totals TBH. 

Agree. While there may be a period of whiteout conditions, given the poor state of the power grid in SEMI/NWOH winds that strong will definitely be knocking down weakened trees and power poles. The other variable is how much rain that falls and ends up freezing on said objects, adding more weights and increasing that damage threat even higher.

• LIKE 1
  • SAD 1

4 minutes ago, CIWeather said:

There are a few people/groups I can definitely think of this with 😂

Exactly my point.  That is why I follow people like Indywx and Brandon Redmond at Indiana Weather Online.  Just facts, not so much about the clicks and money.

• LIKE 1

Ugh...I'm supposed to have family coming down to Findlay from the UP and from Port Clinton from the 22nd-25th.  My father-in-law has surgery back in the UP on the 27th and my mother-in-law has an elderly mother in Port Clinton she may be afraid to leave alone up there during this (understandably so). Gonna be watching this closely to provide my best recommendations for them.  At this point, it's feeling as if it may be best for them both to stay put instead of risking having a tough time going back north or having an elderly grandmother stuck without power with 60 mph winds and the extreme cold.

• THUMBS UP 2

7 minutes ago, Jpfalcon said:

More from 13ABC, obviously any power outages that occur with these wind chills are going to be life threatening.

image.thumb.png.dbeb44c6dd99c67d9c5af589ed09081c.png

This is what has me more concerned than any snowfall amount. I would hope NWS offices in our area give plenty of people notice as this could be devastating. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

4 minutes ago, NWsnowhio said:

Ugh...I'm supposed to have family coming down to Findlay from the UP and from Port Clinton from the 22nd-25th.  My father-in-law has surgery back in the UP on the 27th and my mother-in-law has an elderly mother in Port Clinton she may be afraid to leave alone up there during this (understandably so). Gonna be watching this closely to provide my best recommendations for them.  At this point, it's feeling as if it may be best for them both to stay put instead of risking having a tough time going back north or having an elderly grandmother stuck without power with 60 mph winds and the extreme cold.

Totally agree with your thoughts here. 

• THUMBS UP 1
  • THANKS 1

BAMWX

@bamwxcom

·

2m

Our job is to forecast weather & predict the future based on assessing data & applying knowledge/ experience. This is my best shot at that for the time being. Do I think major adjustments east occur? No. But I do think the adjustments are certainly on the table.

image.png.a6e503be72c81a523d01bd8e3726f6b4.png

• THUMBS DOWN 1

1 minute ago, ryanmkay said:

This is what has me more concerned than any snowfall amount. I would hope NWS offices in our area give plenty of people notice as this could be devastating. 

Same. I almost could care less if we get a lot of snow when faced with this scenario.

I mean yeah, the snow possibilities are awesome but I’m just not grooving on the rest of it now. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

Just now, GRR said:

BAMWX

@bamwxcom

·

2m

Our job is to forecast weather & predict the future based on assessing data & applying knowledge/ experience. This is my best shot at that for the time being. Do I think major adjustments east occur? No. But I do think the adjustments are certainly on the table.

image.png.a6e503be72c81a523d01bd8e3726f6b4.png

Think this ends up being pretty close to correct once all is said and done.

41 minutes ago, ryanmkay said:

Saw someone state earlier about getting generator ready....

From DTX afd:

The latest 19.00Z ECMWF run has 75 knots at 925mb over Toledo and western Lake Erie at 24.00Z. Stated it earlier, but the main narrative should be about the impacts the strong winds would bring with falling snow during the holiday travel period and potential widespread power outages.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/nI3hgTqQWhOV8WYtYF/200.gif

BAMWX

@bamwxcom

My thoughts have been posted for now. There's no way to know anymore than we do right now. This is far from over and nothing is set in stone. More updates to come once new data starts to trickle in

image.png.8643971dce305c0fdc8f75f8a5af763d.png

• LIKE 1

9 minutes ago, easton229 said:

Yea I’m glad I took off work starting Thursday. No matter what happens, this will be a good one to stay home for.

I’m off Thursday but very  worried about Friday.
Veterinary clinics hardly ever close (except for major holidays) ….if we are open….my boss will come get me in his truck, he’s done that several times. 
Last time was last February? I was his only tech that day because he DID pick me up, lol, but it was kinda fun too. 

All I know is I’m not driving no matter what. 

• LOVE 1

Just now, Indygirl said:

I’m off Thursday but very  worried about Friday.
Veterinary clinics hardly ever close (except for major holidays) ….if we are open….my boss will come get me in his truck, he’s done that several times. 
Last time was last February? I was his only tech that day because he DID pick me up, lol, but it was kinda fun too. 

All I know is I’m not driving no matter what. 

Funny you say that because as a medical worker either my boss will come pick me up or the police will in snowstorms. It makes me feel special/needed I guess. 😆

• LOVE 2