December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

• Social Media Crew
12 minutes ago, JayPSU said:

Time to pray for the unicorn thunder snow of 6” as the cold front whips through shown on the GFS

Right?! My part of SCPA gets 9” in a three hour period. Parts of NWPA nearly 24” in 6 hours. No. 
floop-gfs-2022121900.snku_acc.us_ne.gif.636c0d081065e145c2acd5be44a06c0b.gif

Edited by Penn State
  • WOW 1
  • LAUGH 4

• Social Media Crew
Just now, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Happens in movies, why not real life?!?!

It’s nuts. Never in my life could you tell me that a low would cut through Chicago, and I would somehow end up with a foot of snow.. not to mention a temp that goes from 60 to 8.. with 60-80mph winds. FICTION. 

Just now, Penn State said:

It’s nuts. Never in my life could you tell me that a low would cut through Chicago, and I would somehow end up with a foot of snow.. not to mention a temp that goes from 60 to 8.. with 60-80mph winds. FICTION. 

Algorithms are clearly incapable of handling these types of extreme setups

• THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, Snow____ said:

You keep saying that… it’s easily much further East with the low than GFS. He’s not saying anything wrong. Do you not like this guy or something 😂😂

oh he's my go to guy he just always has a silver lining to every run...everyone here knows who I don't like

Edited by NeXrad

1 minute ago, easton229 said:

I shouldn’t have gotten too excited 5 days out. I’ll learn from my mistake here.

If this solution is still being shown by Tuesday evening then it's time to throw in the towel. Still a long way to go. 😊

• THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, Pros3lyte said:

Is the east coast ridge really that much stronger than the arctic air push? Or Do I have no idea what I’m talking about? Still learning

Tomorrow I’ll pull out the upper levels and show you what is happening. The whole scenario is built on arctic air dropping down with a piece of energy and carving a trough. The position of this trough is the driver for the position of the low because as the energy hits the base, a powderkeg is set off between the very cold, dry air to the northwest and the comparably warm moist air to the southeast. The low will feed on this and move north northeast from the base of the trough until the trough turns negative. The biggest misnomer that I have read so far is that the low cannot be that far west due to how much cold there is coming in. It is more about position and size of the wave. Think of physics class and the slinky wave example. The deeper your wave, the higher your heights will be out front which will make it look like the SER is flexing, but that’s not really the case.

For a good look at this take the GFS 0z hour 60 500mb with our energy entering northern Washington, look how flat the flow is. Then look at hour 96 and the trough that has been carved. 

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1
  • LOVE 2

2 minutes ago, easton229 said:

I shouldn’t have gotten too excited 5 days out. I’ll learn from my mistake here.

Doubt this track is settled. Could still move back SE. If it goes further west I will be amazed. That GFS solution really seemed to max out. Would be worse then the GHD storm as depicted.

Just now, Cary67 said:

Doubt this track is settled. Could still move back SE. If it goes further west I will be amazed. That GFS solution really seemed to max out. Would be worse then the GHD storm as depicted.

GDH Storm didn’t pan out too well for SEMI either lol