December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

31 minutes ago, BuckeyeGal said:

It is definitely a different setup with the strength (and potentially the speed) of the cold.

21 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

WAA will ALWAYS be out ahead of the low (in reference an approaching storm from the SW here), but timing at which cold air pulls in after, is what's different here. No one out east of the low will stay all snow, but being right under the low this go round will yield almost an immediate changeover to snow, typically its takes a while for cold air to filter back in 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_19.png

gfs_T2m_ncus_20.png

Got it-this storm is stronger which is why its quicker to changeover, thus the higher than normal amounts for those of us east of the modeled path.  Thank you!

Edited by Wnwniner
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist
1 minute ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

18z GFS has an 18mb pressure rise in 3 hours for Amarillo...

Wind chills here could get down as low as -30 here btw. 

floop-gfs-2022121818.prateptype_cat.us_sc.gif

We're starting to look at the potential for -40 wind chills here if we get snow. Gonna be brutal

• LIKE 1

18z Euro ensemble mean 10:1 ratios through noon Christmas Eve or hour 144. Looking at comparison to 12z, it looks an average of about 20 to 30 miles South for everyone, basically. In terms of the 2+ inch zone on South extent. Let's keep that trend going!

Screenshot_20221218_191913_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by SOMOSnow
  • LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

• Meteorologist
2 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

We're starting to look at the potential for -40 wind chills here if we get snow. Gonna be brutal

Lost my winter coat in the process of moving so I think I'm gonna need to go to the store. 

I just finished my E shifts today... the other new hire is gonna have the E shift on Thursday, so he's gonna get the worst of it in the morning launch. I'll be doing the 0z launch but it won't be as bad.

• THUMBS UP 1

1 hour ago, Snow____ said:

You know a major winter storm/blizzard for the Ohio valley/Great Lakes doesn’t mean Kentucky gets more than 2 inches.. what he said is absolutely true.

yea I got the clarification of blizzard criteria,  thanks!

• LOVE 1

2 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

I'm really having a hard time with this thing cutting so hard into such deep cold air with a powerful HP system pressing SE. 🤦‍♂️

Bernie Rayno said mid week last week that it didn’t make sense for the modeling to be so far east when the set up was there for it to come west, and he was right based on what made sense.  Again, it doesn’t make sense it keeps tracking this far west with the arctic HP coming into the storm, so have to think it makes sense to suppress this SE some in the coming days.  

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 2