December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

3 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Already big differences, looks like a more prominent western ridging setup and energy is behing held back in the PAC NW. This could be an altogether new solution 

Definitely is, winds up a clipper ish type system, more of a western ridge too, weaker HP, further west. Looks like it's going to be a coastal bomb

• Meteorologist

Not buying the trough over Alaska the GFS suddenly develops. It loves to push everything east too quickly. Like I said before the answer is south. I think we're looking at something trekking across Texas and then perhaps through the Apps. 

• LOVE 1

7 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

Not buying the trough over Alaska the GFS suddenly develops. It loves to push everything east too quickly. Like I said before the answer is south. I think we're looking at something trekking across Texas and then perhaps through the Apps. 

11:00 mark. Bernie seems to agree with you. 

• LIKE 1

58 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

It could be it should've had it all along, based on the cmc last several runs its been there, whereas the GFS 00z was really the first...that said it's positioned differently than the cmc still

This also highlights the clear trend in the GFS western ridging nudging east...will be curious to see the PNA this run

gfs_z500_mslp_namer_fh216_trend.gif

a75b159f-6cf1-43c7-a060-60d3b59195b3.gif

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45

• Meteorologist
6 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

It could be it should've had it all along, based on the cmc last several runs its been there, whereas the GFS 00z was really the first...that said it's positioned differently than the cmc still

This also highlights the clear trend in the GFS western ridging nudging east...will be curious to see the PNA this run

gfs_z500_mslp_namer_fh216_trend.gif

a75b159f-6cf1-43c7-a060-60d3b59195b3.gif

It's the models breaking down the EPO ridge too quickly and instituting a PNA ridge. They always do this with this setup. Saw it back in February 2021 too. We'll eventually get to the PNA ridge but it will be after the storm next week not before it. 

But yeah, I'm not buying a storm sliding east-southeast between a 1063 surface high to it's north-northeast and a 1055 surface high to it's east. The only place for it to go is south.  I still think this is a Southern Plains storm, especially in Texas. 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_namer_23.png.90ad4b49980faa4a9b2600844a65cd10.png

Edited by Ingyball

9 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

The euro is horrible, still nothing but a cold front that pumps warm air out ahead. There is virtually no ridging in the west that was CMC and GFS has

This would suggest the European OP, is an outlier during this time frame. Even against its own ensembles 

global_pna_2022121400.png

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

6z GFS is a clipper 

What's a "clipper"?  😉

At least we have some action/possibilities.  Hopefully some exciting times upcoming.

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1

Usually its a waste of time to compare/discuss differences 10 days out but since its just before/on Xmas Its totally worth it. 

12z GFS is a bit better than the prior two runs - still a fropa looking storm...

12z CMC continues showing a beast setup. I mean what more can you want from this H5 look

500h_anom.conus.png

Edited by junior
  • LIKE 1
  • WOW 1