December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

7 minutes ago, Wnwniner said:

Salt isn't (very) effective at these temps; its actually freezing inside our trucks and we have to bring them into a garage to warm it up enough to get it out or dig it out with a backhoe.  Since its not working, we can't get the snow soft/loose enough to plow it off, so we're kinda stuck.  And the amount of traffic on the roads....yikes.  Really could have used a level 47 snow emergency for a few days, then we could have made a little more progress.

We'll be working around the clock until Monday/Tuesday when its warm enough for material to be effective before we can really get ahead of this and get roads back to normal.  

Thanks for your efforts - hasn't been easy with the relentless wind!

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

15 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Thanks for your efforts - hasn't been easy with the relentless wind!

Most people have been understanding so far; its good that its not just us struggling, and that all jurisdictions are having the same challenges.  Doesn't help that everyone is short staffed to being with, and lots of people want off for the holiday.

• THUMBS UP 2

On the way home from Christmas Eve with the family. Roads were typical rural conditions but the kind you see right after an event, not 48 hours later. Quite impressive and a drift taller than me at the end of the video. Very cool to see. In Warren county near Centerville/Sugarcreek for reference. Apologies for the vertical video lol

• LIKE 3

31 minutes ago, Wnwniner said:

Salt isn't (very) effective at these temps; its actually freezing inside our trucks and we have to bring them into a garage to warm it up enough to get it out or dig it out with a backhoe.  Since its not working, we can't get the snow soft/loose enough to plow it off, so we're kinda stuck.  And the amount of traffic on the roads....yikes.  Really could have used a level 47 snow emergency for a few days, then we could have made a little more progress.

We'll be working around the clock until Monday/Tuesday when its warm enough for material to be effective before we can really get ahead of this and get roads back to normal.  

What happened to the beer emoji @BuckeyeGal!!! You deserve one after you're done driving

• Moderators

Another record.  🙂 CBS article:

The league had eight games that kicked off with a temperature below freezing on Saturday, which was a record for a single day. Things were so cold in Nashville that the Texans-Titans game actually got delayed an hour due to rolling blackouts in Tennessee that were ordered due to the extreme cold. 

• WOW 1

27 minutes ago, FortySixAnd32 said:

What happened to the beer emoji @BuckeyeGal!!! You deserve one after you're done driving

I'm in the nice warm operations center...by myself, listening to the chatter on the radio, and helping make sure things run as smooth as possible.  But I will take you up on the beer when I get home!

• LOVE 1

Yea the roads this morning and leaving work earlier in the afternoon were still awful. Barely one lane on 675 cleared in the afternoon and side streets still snowpacked(better than slush). Also we have big windows where I work and there was probably 4-5" thick ice slabs forming on the sill inside it was so cold yesterday and into the morning.

Edited by junior
  • LIKE 1

Fee this still fits for this storm. Been under this band for the past few hours and have gotten prolly an inch out of it. Added another 2” or so in the past couple days so we’re prolly sitting close to 3-4”. This has made it a very nice Christmasy feel. My drift at my back too has risen to over a foot so since that was my original measurement point, I’d say we have 12”+ for this storm 😝

1985BDE5-1CB2-40A0-8F76-300A7CCA48CF.png

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

FB_IMG_1671927247488.jpg

2 hours ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Current conditions on State Route 257 in NW Delaware County...

FB_IMG_1671927369409.jpg

We didn’t get to use this during the storm…

B64174C3-4417-42A4-8D84-772CD314115B.jpeg

• LAUGH 5

• Meteorologist

9 straight days of 50+ degree highs with several 60-70 degree days mixed in. Big fan.

Edit: keep in mind we haven't seen any kind of precip in, like, a month. So, screw the cold if it's not gonna snow. Let's be warm and dry.

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

Model follow-up:

I went back and copied some of the short-range model output just before the storm started in OH.  Some caveats with this storm; difficulty in measuring and the intense cold leading to high model ratios.   So, here are just a few outputs .  The Kuchera outputs were too high IMO so I just included the 10:1s.  Looks like the models did a great job with the placement of the heaviest band.

First graphic is the 72hr Observed via Pivotal, followed by the HRRR, RAP, SREF mean and SREF plumes.

Merry Christmas everyone!  Enjoy the day and the snow.

(Maybe we'll have a 200 pager next month! 🙂 )

nohrsc_72hsnow.us_mw.png

image.png.706201ae40686d5c6d9443011dbc78c1.png

image.png.3b7c7f4c8f9867853471e729ff84c4da.png

image.png.ab3021740a8334d66d81041782605585.png

image.png.7191f18e20364afdc15dc8db4ee3cf52.png

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 1
  • THANKS 2
  • TROPHY 2

1 hour ago, Hiramite said:

Model follow-up:

I went back and copied some of the short-range model output just before the storm started in OH.  Some caveats with this storm; difficulty in measuring and the intense cold leading to high model ratios.   So, here are just a few outputs .  The Kuchera outputs were too high IMO so I just included the 10:1s.  Looks like the models did a great job with the placement of the heaviest band.

First graphic is the 72hr Observed via Pivotal, followed by the HRRR, RAP, SREF mean and SREF plumes.

Merry Christmas everyone!  Enjoy the day and the snow.

(Maybe we'll have a 200 pager next month! 🙂 )

nohrsc_72hsnow.us_mw.png

image.png.706201ae40686d5c6d9443011dbc78c1.png

image.png.3b7c7f4c8f9867853471e729ff84c4da.png

image.png.ab3021740a8334d66d81041782605585.png

image.png.7191f18e20364afdc15dc8db4ee3cf52.png

The 10:1 HRRR looks spot on with a general 4-6" in that heavier axis

• THUMBS UP 1

I'm done with winter. Spent several hours the past two days trying to thaw my mom's frozen hot water heating pipes. ( 100 year old farm house with fieldstone foundation) Of course a pipe burst at 1230 last night. Had to run over and shut off that zone while mom and sisters toweled up the mess. And now my heat pump is throwing a code. 😒 50's next weekend looking very appealing.......

Edit- Merry Christmas!

Edited by Snowbelted
Holiday Greeting
  • SAD 4
  • TROPHY 1

1 hour ago, Snowbelted said:

I'm done with winter. Spent several hours the past two days trying to thaw my mom's frozen hot water heating pipes. ( 100 year old farm house with fieldstone foundation) Of course a pipe burst at 1230 last night. Had to run over and shut off that zone while mom and sisters toweled up the mess. And now my heat pump is throwing a code. 😒 50's next weekend looking very appealing.......

Edit- Merry Christmas!

Oh no! That's the worst. I've been nervous all weekend because my house was built in 1880. So far, so good.

• LOVE 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, Snowbelted said:

Edit- Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas.. Let us know how it works out.. 

Two comments:

1. I drove from basically Toledo to Dayton on 75 today, saw some of the biggest snow drifts I can ever remember seeing in the sides of the highway.  This was with very little snow, I can’t imagine 6+ inches with those kinds of wind, wow!

2. It’s interesting how the Scioto Valley went from multiple models forecasting basically no snow (remember the warm nose?!) with 24 hours or so to go with the storm to being a relative jackpot.

What’s great about this storm is we still have two more months despite the coming torch.  Merry Christmas! 🎄 

• THUMBS UP 1

On 12/25/2022 at 11:56 AM, Uscg Ast said:

Merry Christmas.. Let us know how it works out.. 

Second pipe burst Christmas morning at my Mom's. Mom got her HVAC guy out on Christmas to patch it together temporarily. My heat pump code cleared after clearing the snow from the outside unit. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Snowbelted said:

Second pipe burst Christmas morning at my Mom's. Mom got her HVAC guy out on Christmas to patch it together temporarily. My heat pump code cleared after clearing the snow from the outside unit. 

Not perfect... but progress!