December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

• Admin
3 minutes ago, ak9971 said:

Something I've always noticed on Radarscope is that unless its ripping snow only shows up as maybe 5-10dBz. I am assuming this is because rain drops are slightly bigger and reflect with greater strength back toward the radar site? It can be quite tricky to see where the snow actually ends on radarscope sometimes.

Yeah, it comes to many factors, again one of them being density. Snow in and of itself holds much less liquid than a raindrop. Consequently, a similar size snow flake will show up much lighter than a similar size rain drop. 

Likewise, most snow producing clouds tend to be closer to the ground than a large rain cloud. As such, distance from the radar plays a much more pronounced roll in snow intensity on radar than rain intensity. Ie, a rain cloud fifty miles away (completely arbitrary number) with similar size rain drops may look much stronger than a snow producing cloud as the radar beam (aimed upwards when released from the Radar) may miss the main snow producing region in the atmosphere all together. 

• THUMBS UP 1
  • TROPHY 1

Just now, StormfanaticInd said:

Here comes the scary part of the storm. We have 3000 without power here in Indy

Screenshot_20221222-234358_Echofon.jpg

almost 100k out in Texas at this point from what I can only assume is issues with their grid and the cold weather. I think you'll see outages really start to ramp up soon as the wind picks up in the next few hours.

https://poweroutage.us

• SHIVERING 1

1 minute ago, Uscg Ast said:

Yeah, it comes to many factors, again one of them being density. Snow in and of itself holds much less liquid than a raindrop. Consequently, a similar size snow flake will show up much lighter than a similar size rain drop. 

Likewise, most snow producing clouds tend to be closer to the ground than a large rain cloud. As such, distance from the radar plays a much more pronounced roll in snow intensity on radar than rain intensity. Ie, a rain cloud fifty miles away (completely arbitrary number) with similar size rain drops may look much stronger than a snow producing cloud as the radar beam (aimed upwards when released from the Radar) may miss the main snow producing region in the atmosphere all together. 

Thanks, never even really thought of the cloud height part. Learn something new every day around here I love it.

3 minutes ago, cloudy_jake said:

Just checked the great lakes radar on NOAA it looks like a big deformation band of light moderate and heavier pockets of snow!

CENTGRLAKES_loop.gif

I can see that band dropping 5-7 inches if it sits and dumps like it may. I wouldn’t be surprised at all. Maybe not 10 inches like GFS but still very nice.

• THUMBS UP 2

7 minutes ago, Uscg Ast said:

F21BA978-E088-4EEA-8AF6-8DCA91B2FE76.gif

• LAUGH 4

I'd say I'm at 2-3ish but honestly it's so hard to tell, like I said earlier a couple wind gusts and it blew off the car so who knows how much has really fallen. It looks like there's light snow all the way back to W. Indiana so hoping to pickup another inch or so. Maybe if I get lucky I'll get under one of those smaller bands popping up in Kentucky.

HRRR is still putting down 3ish additional inches on the 71 corridor around Dayton/Mason and then 5 additional up from there. I could see it based on radar returns currently and how it's initialized very similar to what's going on. I'm happy we met ILN guidance and didn't bust around here at least. Crazy to watch with this wind whipping the snow around. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

You Central and SW Ohio folks deserve a good one. Radar seems to be working in your favor. Overachieve your butts off, folks! 

I’ll try to be content if we even get close to Blizzard Bill’s 2-4”  call from Monday. I don’t doubt that old goat. 

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

3 minutes ago, Jeffro said:

Ground is covered already. Going to try to stay up for that band near Dayton to move in then probably hit the hay. 

Fun storm to track y’all. Thanks to everyone that posts the play by plays each mode run. 

Cheers. 

https://youtu.be/U5Vlodb_W7w

Look at that snow blowing