December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

2 minutes ago, Uscg Ast said:

Cool.. The reason I ask is because I wanted to explain a bit further about it.

So that bright banding is actually having that signature precisely because it is the RN/SN line. When the beams of the radar hit the precipitation and bounce back the radar, the computer program interprets the precipitation intensity based on many things - one of them being density. Because the RN/SN line is switching from rain to frozen, the density peaks significantly. The radar is picking up both the rain and frozen precip and interprets this as much heavier precip. 

Kind of cool if you ask me, however, the cold air can't catch it because that is the cold air. 🥶🙂

Your explaination was far more elegant lol

• LAUGH 1

7 minutes ago, Uscg Ast said:

Cool.. The reason I ask is because I wanted to explain a bit further about it.

So that bright banding is actually having that signature precisely because it is the RN/SN line. When the beams of the radar hit the precipitation and bounce back the radar, the computer program interprets the precipitation intensity based on many things - one of them being density. Because the RN/SN line is switching from rain to frozen, the density peaks significantly. The radar is picking up both the rain and frozen precip and interprets this as much heavier precip. 

Kind of cool if you ask me, however, the cold air can't catch it because that is the cold air. 🥶🙂

Something I've always noticed on Radarscope is that unless its ripping snow only shows up as maybe 5-10dBz. I am assuming this is because rain drops are slightly bigger and reflect with greater strength back toward the radar site? It can be quite tricky to see where the snow actually ends on radarscope sometimes.

• LIKE 1

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Snow____ said:

If it could build back west back into Cincy that would be nice 😂😂

So if this ULL can close off soon, you can obtain some pretty quick back building (I think it has not closed off yet - admittedly I have been so busy I have not been keeping as up to date on this storm).

The issue for today has been that late close up. The later the close off, the further N the hard hit becomes. 

1 minute ago, ak9971 said:

Returns picking back up and has to take another video. Been awhile since it’s snowed like this around here. 

4DB7D2B6-715C-4234-8EE0-10962514DE35.thumb.jpeg.b0fdb5f9da6181ff605176201d1f814f.jpeg

I know that band just moved out but I’m jealous already that it’s not still here and I feel that band won’t be moving for a while. 

Just now, Uscg Ast said:

So if this ULL can close off soon, you can obtain some pretty quick back building (I think it has not closed off yet - admittedly I have been so busy I have not been keeping as up to date on this storm).

The issue for today has been that late close up. The later the close off, the further N the hard hit becomes. 

Guess I’ll be rooting for that close off lol. Still some good snow out there in other bands but not that one. So I’m hoping for a close off.

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, Cincysnow said:

Walked out to end of drive to get some light for a vid

Nice it’s ripping there. Slowed up here but that band may build back a bit for you to get dumped on for a while. 
looking out the window looks like 2-3 inches.. hard to tell with the blowing that’s occurred.

• THUMBS UP 1

3 minutes ago, Snow____ said:

I know that band just moved out but I’m jealous already that it’s not still here and I feel that band won’t be moving for a while. 

It just moved east of me on radar, but still snowing pretty good. Only thing that's really changed is the flake size so far.

Just now, junior said:

The NNW QPF starting to build in IN/KY. Models dont have this as strong as the initial wave but it'll do.

Been keeping an eye on that as well. Some good snow and bands out there. Probably good for another inch or 2 when it gets here.

• LIKE 1