December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

1 minute ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

"Wind gusts near 50 mph are also possible north of I-70 during the afternoon. Blowing and drifting snow may occur northwest of I-71 if enough snow falls overnight"

Using words like "may" and "if" in regards to blowing snow don't lead me to beleive a blizzard warning was even considered 

It also makes me wonder what data they're looking at to even question whether or not blowing snow will occur....

HorribleNarrowFruitfly-max-1mb.gif

• LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

From CLE :

We`ve received a fair number of questions on the need for a blizzard warning with this event. As a reminder, a blizzard warning requires sustained winds or frequent gusts to 35 mph accompanied by falling/blowing snow, frequently reducing visibilities to 1/4SM or less, for 3 hours or longer. While it`s likely we observe the wind criteria for an extended duration, there is very low confidence in the occurrence of 1/4SM visibility for 3 hours or longer. Any heavy snow that occurs will be brief (probably an hour or less) and the amount of snow that falls may not be enough for blowing snow to consistently reduce visibilities to 1/4SM or longer. For this reason, a blizzard warning will not be issued with this forecast cycle. As always, we will continue to monitor the situation.

Edited by Hiramite

Just now, MesoscaleBanding said:

It also makes me wonder what data they're looking at to even question whether or not blowing snow will occur....

Totally agree.  There is not even any doubt.  Even if snows were a couple of inches.  Odd..

• THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Yeah not seeing blowing snow would really harsh the buzz of this storm but how would there even be any question of blowing snow regardless

1 minute ago, Hiramite said:

From CLE :

We`ve received a fair number of questions on the need for a
blizzard warning with this event. As a reminder, a blizzard
warning requires sustained winds or frequent gusts to 35 mph
accompanied by falling/blowing snow, frequently reducing
visibilities to 1/4SM or less, for 3 hours or longer. While it`s
likely we observe the wind criteria for an extended duration,
there is very low confidence in the occurrence of 1/4SM
visibility for 3 hours or longer. Any heavy snow that occurs
will be brief (probably an hour or less) and the amount of snow
that falls may not be enough for blowing snow to consistently
reduce visibilities to 1/4SM or longer. For this reason, a
blizzard warning will not be issued with this forecast cycle. As
always, we will continue to monitor the situation.

It's as if they were reading our board again 😂

• LAUGH 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

Just now, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Yeah not seeing blowing snow would really harsh the buzz of this storm but how would there even be any question of blowing snow regardless

It's as if they were reading our board again 😂

I absolutely can see where we do NOT reach defined blizzard conditions but blowing snow will definitely occur along with drifting.

• THUMBS UP 1

Expect temperatures to plummet into the evening following the cold frontal passage from west to east. Rain/drizzle will turn to snow, and surfaces will quickly freeze as temperatures fall under 10 degrees by midnight. Snow will accumulate 3-5” through this evening with blowing snow expected to lower visibility. #INwx #nwsin

321503415_847736509841943_6331700553026442830_n.jpg

Edited by TheBlizzardOf1978
  • LOVE 1