December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

What time is the changeover going to happen? I'm in Wilmington Ohio for the day. I will be heading back west to Hamilton this evening I kinda need to know when to head back. I have a good snow vehicle Subaru Crosstrek but I still don't want to be an hour away from home and get caught in blizzard like conditions.

1 minute ago, cloudy_jake said:

What time is the changeover going to happen? I'm in Wilmington Ohio for the day. I will be heading back west to Hamilton this evening I kinda need to know when to head back. I have a good snow vehicle Subaru Crosstrek but I still don't want to be an hour away from home and get caught in blizzard like conditions.

Looking at the HRRR, it looks around 10:00 or so that the cold air begins to blast through the Hamilton area.

• THANKS 1

1 minute ago, SNOWBOB11 said:

Latest euro has me over 5” at 10:1 ratios. If that actually happened that would be some of the highest totals I’ve seen from backend snow. I’m sceptical but will be fun to watch.

Here in Pittsburgh, it was pretty consistent with showing much less snow than the GFS and Canadian, so seeing it give these last minute bumps up in totals is catching my attention. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

Just now, Bradjl2009 said:

Here in Pittsburgh, it was pretty consistent with showing much less snow than the GFS and Canadian, so seeing it give these last minute bumps up in totals is catching my attention. 

agreed, that's a 1-2" jump since the 0z on 10:1s. Seems to be falling in line with the GFS and is now showing some light wrap around totals. Although it still carries the low up into Canada so the wrap arounds are happening with two different storm tracks. Very interesting.

Just now, RobB said:

I'm calling BS on the snow output of the HRRR IMBY, but I can dream.

For the duration it would be averaging somewhere in the ballpark of 0.75"/hr. doesn't seem overly aggressive but I think it seems boosted somewhat by the band the short range models keep showing. If that doesn't come to fruition I think totals will be lower. Color me skeptical.

• THUMBS UP 2

Just now, ak9971 said:

For the duration it would be averaging somewhere in the ballpark of 0.75"/hr. doesn't seem overly aggressive but I think it seems boosted somewhat by the band the short range models keep showing. If that doesn't come to fruition I think totals will be lower. Color me skeptical.

I agree......

I would hate to be in ILNs shoes right now...They've dragged their feet up to the point where they would have to go from 2" to 5-6" totals if the models are to be believed and risk having a bust or doing par for the course and having people caught out because people see it as 2" its not a big deal. Definite predicament. 

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1

7 minutes ago, ak9971 said:

agreed, that's a 1-2" jump since the 0z on 10:1s. Seems to be falling in line with the GFS and is now showing some light wrap around totals. Although it still carries the low up into Canada so the wrap arounds are happening with two different storm tracks. Very interesting.

Yeah, I was always puzzled by the lack of wrap around stuff through the area given even last week there was some when there was a much weaker low in play with that. Would like to see the NAM add a little to totals before buying it though.

3 minutes ago, ak9971 said:

I would hate to be in ILNs shoes right now...They've dragged their feet up to the point where they would have to go from 2" to 5-6" totals if the models are to be believed and risk having a bust or doing par for the course and having people caught out because people see it as 2" its not a big deal. Definite predicament. 

I've had co-workers that I warned yesterday that had absolutely no idea a storm was coming. She lives in Licking County in the middle of nowhere.  She said "I had no idea we were getting bad weather. Guess I'll stop by the store tonight." I'm thinking....uh, yeah. And buy a generator while you're at it.

Another guy looked at my post from ILN and said "1 to 3 inches. Look at all this dom and glum." I told him 3 inches with these winds could be very impactful and the models were trending upwards.

I think this could be the "perfect storm" for leaving people unprepared for a severe winter weather event in Central Ohio.

• LIKE 3
  • TROPHY 1

3 minutes ago, Blitz said:

I've had co-workers that I warned yesterday that had absolutely no idea a storm was coming. She lives in Licking County in the middle of nowhere.  She said "I had no idea we were getting bad weather. Guess I'll stop by the store tonight." I'm thinking....uh, yeah. And buy a generator while you're at it.

Another guy looked at my post from ILN and said "1 to 3 inches. Look at all this dom and glum." I told him 3 inches with these winds could be very impactful and the models were trending upwards.

I think this could be the "perfect storm" for leaving people unprepared for a severe winter weather event in Central Ohio.

Listening to the morning sports talk radio show today out of Detroit and there was a lot of this going on. The "I'll believe when I see it" mentality, coupled with "Well I wish they would have warned us for in advance about how bad it was going to be!". There's no winning with some folks.

• LIKE 2

So question on measurements. Even the most protected of places will surely be influenced by this wind, yeah?  Just wondering how anyone is going to get an actual accurate measurement without throwing a little 'best educated guess' into the equation? 

Most people won't know whether they got 2 inches or 6 inches when they look outside and see a bunch of drifts next to a bunch of bare ground... lol. 

• THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist

By far the worst storm I've experienced in my life. Measured 3 inches but the combination of cold and wind was incredible. I'm glad those 8-12" runs didn't play out. The city would have shut down in that case. Crazy storm for sure.

• LIKE 5
  • WOW 1

3 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

By far the worst storm I've experienced in my life. Measured 3 inches but the combination of cold and wind was incredible. I'm glad those 8-12" runs didn't play out. The city would have shut down in that case. Crazy storm for sure.

This is why it really hardly matters if 3 inches or 5 inches of snow is going to fall with these winds and cold.  It make little difference with the danger that is present for those that attempt to travel in this weather.  Glad all the warnings are out there for the peeps that do not follow weather like us!

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

4 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

How was it after the snow stopped and winds kept going? Aka how is the ground blizzard