December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

Just now, Jpfalcon said:

Consumers Energy sent us a text (plus my father-in-law who works for them confirmed) that they will have extra crews in the field on Friday and over the weekend to try and restore power as quickly as possible, so I take a little bit of solace in that.

That's good news.  There has been more than one occasion where we went DAYS without power.

• Meteorologist
25 minutes ago, Jpfalcon said:

See my above post. NWS sucks at communicating important information. Their warning systems are stodgy and outdated, especially when it comes to winter weather. It causes people to dismiss them over time.

Location bias 🙂

• Moderators

15Z SREF update

I realize this is somewhat anti-climactic with the Pivotal maps (I forgot about the Snow Depth map which is higher than the 10:1 but not as high as the plumes.)  In any event, I had to brush off the dust, but here we go....

Crap, I can't paste my colored font...so pasting an image instead.

image.png.3bf98ee25c5cba7213f4017f22dfe1e3.png

SREF Plume Tracker, the mean snow amount of numerous weather models.  Great way to not only see the trends near you, but also what areas are being favored by the models. Sometimes they work out fairly well, other times not so well. They are updated every 6 hours but on a ~4-5 hr delay.

The plots can be found here. https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/srefplumes/?SID=CLE This link is for Cleveland, click on the dot nearest to where you live. The tighter the grouping of the individual members, the more confidence in the forecast. (Want your town added below??...just let me know.)

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

15Z SREF update

I realize this is somewhat anti-climactic with the Pivotal maps (I forgot about the Snow Depth map which is higher than the 10:1 but not as high as the plumes.)  In any event, I had to brush off the dust, but here we go....

Crap, I can't paste my colored font...so pasting an image instead.

image.png.3bf98ee25c5cba7213f4017f22dfe1e3.png

SREF Plume Tracker, the mean snow amount of numerous weather models.  Great way to not only see the trends near you, but also what areas are being favored by the models. Sometimes they work out fairly well, other times not so well. They are updated every 6 hours but on a ~4-5 hr delay.

The plots can be found here. https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/srefplumes/?SID=CLE This link is for Cleveland, click on the dot nearest to where you live. The tighter the grouping of the individual members, the more confidence in the forecast. (Want your town added below??...just let me know.)

any reason why these bumped up significantly in some areas? for instance Springfield went from like 3.5 to 8.5"?

17 minutes ago, easton229 said:

NAM definitely more robust in MI this run.

Edit: Eastern Michigan 

Can you tell me new approximate totals? At the hospital in Flint and have terrible service- pics won’t load? 

is it looking like a 5-8 spread over flint/the thumb or higher?

trying to plan Christmas Eve and Christmas Day visitation (mom is in here recovering from Covid)

thanks!

1 hour ago, OSUWx2 said:

Showing this Euro model trend of total QPF through 18z on Friday, of the last 3 (major) runs (12z, 0z, and 12z). Note: Not all is snow, some is rain. But the trend is the main takeaway with my post.

trend-ecmwf_full-2022122112-f054.qpf_acc.us_mw.gif

Yea, my area is under a Winter Weather Advisory & models show west ky getting more snow than most of the winter storm warning areas to my north. 

8 minutes ago, Pros3lyte said:

Can you tell me new approximate totals? At the hospital in Flint and have terrible service- pics won’t load? 

is it looking like a 5-8 spread over flint/the thumb or higher?

trying to plan Christmas Eve and Christmas Day visitation (mom is in here recovering from Covid)

thanks!

Yup 5-8 through those areas 

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Central Illinois said:

any reason why these bumped up significantly in some areas? for instance Springfield went from like 3.5 to 8.5"?

I did notice there were some big jumps throughout the region.  The NAM hasn't changed much so I looked at the individual SREF members for the last three runs in Springfield, 03, 09, 15Z, see below.   In clicking layers on and off, it looks like the ARW members took a huge jump in the 15Z.  I've been told that the ARW members tend to over amp storms.   So, my first reaction is that the 15Z amounts are high, so we'll see if things adjust back down in future runs.

image.png.32ac6d30264ea7b6595fecd6f9bc12b9.png

image.png.68e7bfb739e49f0017ce314030d60297.png

image.png.0dc5d65ed6b3e74707c1dbb872fedc9a.png

• THUMBS UP 1

DTX favoring a more progressive solution which will limit snowfall amounts and duration of excessive winds for SEMI. 2-8" range for their CWA, lowest at the Ohio border (bummer) and highest in the thumb. Get the impression they're leaning more on the short-range models than the globals at this point.