December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

They really had no choice but to redefine criteria for a WSW this event, they probably felt a WWA was too lax but a blizzard warning too agressive. 

idk if this is what you are getting at, but as mentioned yesterday, there is an "Impact Driven" criteria already in place.         Source....

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INSTRUCTION 10-513
OCTOBER 12, 2022

image.thumb.png.d5f09a27078df8db0d53f8e4a4e7bd5b.png

• THUMBS UP 2

2 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

idk if this is what you are getting at, but as mentioned yesterday, there is an "Impact Driven" criteria already in place.         Source....

OCTOBER 12, 2022

Warranted imo given the wind, blowing snow, and temperatures. Looks like they’re expiring it Friday night and moving to a wind chill warning. Don’t fault them with how they’re handling it especially considering they’re usually very conservative.

I’ve talked with a few people that didn’t think Friday travel would be a big deal a few days ago when I told them. Once NWS started their messaging they then changed their plans. 

• THUMBS UP 1

8 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

OCTOBER 12, 2022

wow I never knew that, but yeah I feel like that is probably seldom used, in fact this might be the first time I've ever seen it enacted? Like Marshall's law of weather haha

• THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, cperry29 said:

Looks NAMish. Definitely not GFSish 🥴

WPC used to have a model discussion where one could read their thinking but they got rid of it. Bummer.

3 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

WPC used to have a model discussion where one could read their thinking but they got rid of it. Bummer.

That stinks. I found it interesting how they used different blends of models. If I’m thinking of the correct discussion. 😬 Regardless…

Edited by cperry29

12 minutes ago, Indygirl said:

I really feel sorry for people who waited until today to get supplies and groceries. I ran to Kroger for six items yesterday and waited in line for almost 45 minutes. 

People should stay prepared, in my opinion, all winter long, just in case. 

Being with you all on these forums is how I do just that!

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, cperry29 said:

That stinks. I found it interesting how they used different blends of models. If I’m thinking of the correct discussion. 😬 Regardless…

1 minute ago, Iceresistance said:

Sounds like that they too want to keep their weather discussions confidential. 

Sometimes I see brief mentions of the models, but not the in-depth stuff like before.  Here's the mention of it being terminated.

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdhmd

• THANKS 1

All of central Indiana will go under a Winter Storm Warning starting tomorrow at 3pm. Conditions will get very bad really quick as temperatures plummet and rain changes to snow. Snowfall rates could be 1"-2" per hour when the change takes place along with a flash freeze.

@WRTV

image.png.e9eb6a7c76faa02ec8d15b5bfe6cf024.png

• LIKE 1
  • WOW 1

34 minutes ago, FortySixAnd32 said:

1 inch and 5 mph changes a watch to a warning???? I'm not buying it in this situation. I think that's very petty on ILN's part. Not for my storm hopes, but for safety's sake!!

I agree with you.

I think the NWS is too focused on the criteria and road conditions. What are the point of watches and warnings? To make sure the public is aware of a winter event that could pose a hazard to their lives or their daily plans. In this instance, 50-60 mph winds, flash freezing and cold down as low as 0 pose a threat to life.....espcially if the power goes out.

In my opinion, the NWS should've warned Central Ohio yesterday and told people to make alternate arrangements to heat their home in case the power goes out. If not their home, plans ti stay with someone that does have heat.

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 2

3 minutes ago, Blitz said:

I agree with you.

I think the NWS is too focused on the criteria and road conditions. What are the point of watches and warnings? To make sure the public is aware of a winter event that could pose a hazard to their lives or their daily plans. In this instance, 50-60 mph winds, flash freezing and cold down as low as 0 pose a threat to life.....espcially if the power goes out.

In my opinion, the NWS should've warned Central Ohio yesterday and told people to make alternate arrangements to heat their home in case the power goes out. If not their home, plans ti stay with someone that does have heat.

Especially knowing the “impact driven” can be a source of criteria, even if thresholds aren’t met..,completely agree. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist
1 minute ago, Blitz said:

I agree with you.

We've advertised life threatening conditions since Monday morning in my neck of the woods.

...or you can play by an outdated rule book or mind set 

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 1

4 minutes ago, Blitz said:

I agree with you.

1 minute ago, Mulaman984 said:

Especially knowing the “impact driven” can be a source of criteria, even if thresholds aren’t met..,completely agree. 

I think each office is given a lot of latitude to make their own decisions aside and separate from the official criteria. I've seen them do things outside the normal criteria based on specific situations several times and across different offices. It looks like this one may have dropped the ball here. 

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 2

3 minutes ago, MidwestWX said:

We've advertised life threatening conditions since Monday morning in my neck of the woods.

...or you can play by an outdated rule book or mind set 

I've had people at work tell me the last 2 days that were only getting 2-4" of snow and that it isn't going to be that bad. Part of the issue (IMO) is DTX reluctance to wait until the 11th hour to issue any watches/warnings. People don't realize there are other aspects of winter weather other than frozen precip. They have no idea the extent of wind damage that is possible coupled with extreme temperatures. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist
3 minutes ago, 1816 said:

I think each office is given a lot of latitude to make their own decisions aside and separate from the official criteria. I've seen them do things outside the normal criteria based on specific situations several times and across different offices. It looks like this one may have dropped the ball here. 

Exactly. It's very easy to under estimate impacts from a deterministic standpoint. It's also important to remember we're human too. 

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1