December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

1 minute ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

Definitely looks like its trending sharper. The shortwave across KS/OK is definitely looking more healthy

Just for my own education, what do you mean by that and what would be the potential downstream impacts?

24 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

We issued a freezing fog advisory tonight. I don’t remember the last time I’ve had a freezing fog event. 

Just got off work… when I went outside there was dense fog but the winds were blowing at 15-20 mph. I hadn’t been in fog when it’s windy before but it’s pretty cool.

My car also had a bit of ice or frost on my windshield. Thankfully didn’t have to scrape.

Oh, and how about this busyness? High of 57 tomorrow, low of 2. Casual 55 degree gap.

image.thumb.png.af1d0ab2a6f71474511f5134b2a1141c.png

Welcome to the High Plains, this kind of weather will become less unusual for you over time 😁

Advection fog is very different from most of the fog that happens in the OHV, fun stuff ... glad you are appreciating the weather out there!

I'm sure you'll come to understand that wind direction is pretty important for the weather you should expect up there. I'm guessing easterly is upslope, southeasterly is moist upslope, south is hot/dry downslope, southwest is hot/dry downslope, west is warm/dry downslope, northwest is warm/dry downslope, north is cold/dry, northeast is cool upslope

Edited by StLweatherjunkie
  • LIKE 2

8 minutes ago, ak9971 said:

Just for my own education, what do you mean by that and what would be the potential downstream impacts?

I meant more amplified, the height lines in the KS/OK trough are moving slightly farther south indicating more room to dig and the height lines in the ridge farther east are moving slightly farther north meaning more pre-frontal warm air advection. The adjustments are small, but I'm guessing it's signaling the beginning of the pretty common last-minute adjustment towards stronger and farther NW solutions. 

Edited by StLweatherjunkie
  • LIKE 2
  • THANKS 1

6 minutes ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

I meant more amplified, the height lines in the KS/OK trough are moving slightly farther south indicating more room to dig and the height lines in the ridge farther east are moving slightly farther north meaning more pre-frontal warm air advection. The adjustments are small, but I'm guessing it's signaling the beginning of the pretty common last-minute adjustment towards stronger and farther NW solutions. 

Appreciate the explanation! One thing I love about this place, there’s lots of knowledgeable people around. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

Euro wasn’t bad here. I mean it actually gave me a couple inches as opposed to not like 12z 😂😂. I call that progress. I can go to bed with that for sure. Gonna actually try and wake up a bit earlier tomorrow if I actually sleep well tonight. 
Goodnite folks. Dream of unicorns.

• Meteorologist
38 minutes ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

Welcome to the High Plains, this kind of weather will become less unusual for you over time 😁

Advection fog is very different from most of the fog that happens in the OHV, fun stuff ... glad you are appreciating the weather out there!

I'm sure you'll come to understand that wind direction is pretty important for the weather you should expect up there. I'm guessing easterly is upslope, southeasterly is moist upslope, south is hot/dry downslope, southwest is hot/dry downslope, west is warm/dry downslope, northwest is warm/dry downslope, north is cold/dry, northeast is cool upslope

Oh yeah. Loving it so far. Already experienced several phenomena I hadn't before. And yeah, the upsloping/downsloping was already intuitive to me but I've already learned how it's locally relevant. Southeasterly winds brought this in, and we're expecting the winds to switch to southwesterly tomorrow, so downsloping is going to help kill off the fog.

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LIKE 1

57 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

We issued a freezing fog advisory tonight. I don’t remember the last time I’ve had a freezing fog event. 

Just got off work… when I went outside there was dense fog but the winds were blowing at 15-20 mph. I hadn’t been in fog when it’s windy before but it’s pretty cool.

My car also had a bit of ice or frost on my windshield. Thankfully didn’t have to scrape.

Oh, and how about this busyness? High of 57 tomorrow, low of 2. Casual 55 degree gap.

image.thumb.png.af1d0ab2a6f71474511f5134b2a1141c.png

Thats awesome man. I’ve never experienced fog with winds, I’d imagine that would be pretty wild!  I’m sure that what you’re seeing out that way is way different than what you grew up with back in Ohio.  It’s all part of the process!  

It’s awesome seeing some of you Mets land gigs with the NWS offices! 

Edited by Columbusbuckeye
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 4

5 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

It's absolutely mind blowing, I want to know so bad

I always recall Jym Ganahl talking about the Bellefontaine Ridge and how it affects ALL types of weather. I think there may be something to this and the models have an inherent bias built in to accommodate this phenomenon. I do not believe it will come into play in this scenario however. There's just too much cold air that would overtake the elevation change.

• LIKE 1

4 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

My poor Christmas inflatables....im not sure what to do. They'll pool up with water and once we flash freeze it'll lock them up for good. The only way to counter that is to leave them blown up which has a -100% chance of me being that dumb with the winds

I'd pay good money to watch that!!!

• LAUGH 1

4 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

My poor Christmas inflatables....im not sure what to do. They'll pool up with water and once we flash freeze it'll lock them up for good. The only way to counter that is to leave them blown up which has a -100% chance of me being that dumb with the winds

wacky-inflatable.gif

• LAUGH 4
  • LOVE 1