December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

1 minute ago, Columbusbuckeye said:

I believe it was Jim Ganahl that said that the cause of this with low pressure systems in Ohio is that a warm nose of air gets pulled up the Scioto river valley from the south and is stubborn to exit once the low passes east.  Take it FWIW, but it makes sense. 

I've definitely seen that happen before here in Pittsburgh, but this isn't going to be one of those cases where the temp will struggle to keep falling once it gets to around freezing, so I have doubts it will happen. 

• THUMBS UP 1

3 minutes ago, Bradjl2009 said:

I've definitely seen that happen before here in Pittsburgh, but this isn't going to be one of those cases where the temp will struggle to keep falling once it gets to around freezing, so I have doubts it will happen. 

Agreed. I think the models are overdoing it as well.  I don’t see it happening with how fast the temps will crash.  

Edited by Columbusbuckeye
  • LIKE 1

3 minutes ago, Columbusbuckeye said:

Agreed. I think the models are overdoing it as well.  I don’t see it happening with how fast the temps will crash.  

At this point, I feel like a general 2 to 4 with the line could be a good bet. Some places a little less, others maybe a little more. 

• THUMBS UP 3

My poor Christmas inflatables....im not sure what to do. They'll pool up with water and once we flash freeze it'll lock them up for good. The only way to counter that is to leave them blown up which has a -100% chance of me being that dumb with the winds

• LAUGH 2

Just now, Bradjl2009 said:

At this point, I feel like a general 2 to 4 with the line could be a good bet. Some places a little less, others maybe a little more. 

That’s in line with my thoughts.  I’ve been telling friends/family that 2-5 is likely for most of Central Ohio, with  most being on the lower end. The roads will be treacherous on Friday morning.  If we can get any bonus wraparound snow, which is being advertised on the GFS, some spots will end up with a WSW type snow event.  Winds could push this to blizzard criteria for the northern 2/3 of Ohio on Friday morning.  

• THUMBS UP 3

24 minutes ago, Columbusbuckeye said:

I can see this happening if the front is almost like a squall line.   I remember an arctic front passing by a few years ago that laid down 2-3 inches IMBY within 2 hours.  Ironically, it went through right around midnight, much like this one will.  

There was one in March a few years ago in the early morning that dropped 4-5" of wet snow really quick with some thunder so it certainly isn't out of the question.

Edited by snowlover2

2 minutes ago, Columbusbuckeye said:

That’s in line with my thoughts.  I’ve been telling friends/family that 2-5 is likely for most of Central Ohio, with  most being on the lower end. The roads will be treacherous on Friday morning.  If we can get any bonus wraparound snow, which is being advertised on the GFS, some spots will end up with a WSW type snow event.  Winds could push this to blizzard criteria for the northern 2/3 of Ohio on Friday morning.  

I'm leaning to thinking between 2 to 3 for Pittsburgh as well, with a bust being less than an inch, and a surprise being more than 4 inches. 

• THUMBS UP 1

48 minutes ago, Columbusbuckeye said:

You guys are going to get rocked up your way, man.  Cheers!  

Thanks man, it's definitely nice peace of mind knowing that I'm probably going to be pushing double-digit snow amounts no matter what. The wind potential is pretty concerning too, glad I'm not too close to the shoreline ...

Now for an unsolicited tangent about how snow amounts are still hard to forecast because it depends on wind direction and how much synoptic support there is. Those depend on low location and strength just like everywhere else in the country. I'm always worried about potential for lake effect winds to be too NWerly, which is the prevailing winter-time wind direction. Snow can shut off pretty hard in Marquette once winds go more westerly than 340 degrees. It's pretty rough knowing that 40 miles to the west or east got way more snow than you did from 9/10 storms. The unicorn "classic" storms with winds from around 340° to 70° during synoptic snow can put on a show though. 

Edited by StLweatherjunkie
  • LIKE 1
  • LOVE 2

• Meteorologist

We issued a freezing fog advisory tonight. I don’t remember the last time I’ve had a freezing fog event. 

Just got off work… when I went outside there was dense fog but the winds were blowing at 15-20 mph. I hadn’t been in fog when it’s windy before but it’s pretty cool.

My car also had a bit of ice or frost on my windshield. Thankfully didn’t have to scrape.

Oh, and how about this busy forecast? High of 57 tomorrow, low of 2. Casual 55 degree gap.

image.thumb.png.af1d0ab2a6f71474511f5134b2a1141c.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LIKE 2
  • LOVE 5

21 minutes ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

Thanks man, it's definitely nice peace of mind knowing that I'm probably going to be pushing double-digit snow amounts no matter what. The wind potential is pretty concerning too, glad I'm not too close to the shoreline ...

Now for an unsolicited tangent about how snow amounts are still hard to forecast because it depends on wind direction and how much synoptic support there is. Those depend on low location and strength just like everywhere else in the country. I'm always worried about potential for lake effect winds to be too NWerly, which is the prevailing winter-time wind direction. Snow can shut off pretty hard in Marquette once winds go more westerly than 340 degrees. It's pretty rough knowing that 40 miles to the west or east got way more snow than you did from 9/10 storms. The unicorn "classic" storms with winds from around 340° to 70° during synoptic snow can put on a show though. 

Here's a good example of radically different outcomes for MBY. Definitely hoping for the FV3 to pan out over the 3km NAM. 

image.thumb.png.3ce08ce2fee831b099417182b304d928.png

image.thumb.png.f99304f074ab563c932676c5c55270a3.png

• LIKE 1
  • WOW 1