December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

Just now, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

It's absolutely mind blowing, I want to know so bad

If it shakes out like that I would be surprised. It has to be something wrong with the soundings there or something because it’s every model and that’s just odd

• THUMBS UP 2

2 minutes ago, Bradjl2009 said:

I would imagine a lot of those weird snow holes are due to the GFS not able to smoothly progress the rain/snow line as it should. 

That actually makes a lot of sense. Usually see that a lot with the short models… looking at those every hour on the hour for lost our storms checking for a change over time. 

• LIKE 1

Just now, Snow____ said:

That actually makes a lot of sense. Usually see that a lot with the short models… looking at those every hour on the hour for lost our storms checking for a change over time. 

At this point, it seems pretty likely how this will pan out, and it's just going to take waiting to see how the squall line develops and if there's anything that dries it out or delays the changeover. 

1 minute ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

The cmc makes an abrupt exit

Was thinking the same thing. That blows. It was looking promising and then it just escaped stage right. 
The RAP was pretty nice albeit it’s long range… putting my eggs in the GFS, RAP basket sounds gross. 
RAP kind of got it out of here quickly as well though. No telling what it would do after hour 51 but it looks to be moving right along. 

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, NWOhioChaser said:

I don’t see how anyone would get more than an inch or two from that at best. Have to be one hell of a thump.

6 hour rap snow associated with the front, not buying it but definitely willing see if other models jump onsnku_006h.us_mw.thumb.png.914f24571d1d2fe70c60c9c36de5af33.png

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

6 hour rap snow associated with the front, not buying it but definitely willing see if other models jump onsnku_006h.us_mw.thumb.png.914f24571d1d2fe70c60c9c36de5af33.png

I can see this happening if the front is almost like a squall line.   I remember an arctic front passing by a few years ago that laid down 2-3 inches IMBY within 2 hours.  Ironically, it went through right around midnight, much like this one will.  

1 minute ago, ak9971 said:

GEFS Mean snowfall is disgusting lol…. 
Side note I have no idea what’s up with the lack of data bordering all the lakes, first time I’ve noticed it on the mean maps. Also does it in all the ensemble runs. 

image.thumb.png.92c7fa99947f96add4e62cc4683894a3.png

Lower resolution, I do believe. 

• LIKE 1

3 minutes ago, ak9971 said:

GEFS Mean snowfall is disgusting lol…. 
Side note I have no idea what’s up with the lack of data bordering all the lakes, first time I’ve noticed it on the mean maps. Also does it in all the ensemble runs. 

image.thumb.png.92c7fa99947f96add4e62cc4683894a3.png

Setup playing nightmare on each of the algos

f71a2efe-8833-41b9-bb3f-1e4acba2e3e3.gif

• LIKE 1

35 minutes ago, JayPSU said:

I’m sorry, I’m really skeptical of that...lol

I believe it was Jim Ganahl that said that the cause of this with Winter low pressure systems in Central Ohio is that a warm nose of air gets pulled up the Scioto river valley from the south and is stubborn to exit once the low passes east.  Take it FWIW, but it makes sense. 

Edited by Columbusbuckeye
  • THUMBS UP 2

4 minutes ago, Columbusbuckeye said:

I can see this happening if the front is almost like a squall line.   I remember an arctic front passing by a few years ago that laid down 2-3 inches IMBY within 2 hours.  Ironically, it went through right around midnight, much like this one will.  

If nothing else, it is neat to see that solid pink line dump trucking across the state on the RAP.

image.thumb.png.5d9f3a1cfa6dc073705cfa4c8c15c028.png

• LOVE 1