December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

1 minute ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

Instead of looking at just snow maps, here's QPF ... Pretty obvious that the system near Florida tonight is robbing moisture from the colder portions of the storm, but hey at least none of us have to deal with 3+ inches of rain like the east coast!

image.thumb.png.492f8bf4d9ae4769e79057a7728f54a4.png

Indeed 🙂

Hell, the precip/type is the less interesting aspect of this system to me...

• THUMBS UP 2

5 minutes ago, RobB said:

Indeed 🙂

Hell, the precip/type is the less interesting aspect of this system to me...

No doubt, I'm amazed by the high-low pressure couplet! Both features are near the return interval limits of the 30-year CFSR reanalysis. I'm not sure what the return interval would be on the combined pressure couplet, but it could be near or above a 100-year event. I wouldn't be surprised to see some hurricane force wind warnings on the Great Lakes ... 

image.thumb.png.bf93e87efd40faa780ccfe52ab7acdae.png

Anyways, Ontario and Quebec appear to get completely buried by this system. December is definitely putting down some deep northern tier snow cover. Now to wait and see if Jan/Feb/Mar brings the deep stuff farther south. 

• LIKE 2
  • WOW 1

1 minute ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Found it, RGEM gave up the secret, it truly is a warm nose

prateptype.us_ov.png

I think I remember the RGEM being the first model for the Valentines storm of 2021 to catch on to the sleet…. Turned what was supposed to be a 10 inch storm 12 hours before into an 18 hour sleet face… good times.

• DISAPPOINTED 1
  • YUCK 1

1 minute ago, Pros3lyte said:

Really weird. Could it be an elevation thing? The glacial ridge in SE MI in Oakland county does stuff like that alot

Yeah that was the thought earlier. Not sure though given the freezing cold temps. 🤷🏻‍♂️