December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

• Moderators

While we wait on the pokey NAM a note about the SREF's.

I'll probably start up the SREF Tracker tomorrow.  Some may ask why since Pivotal has SREF Snow maps available.  These maps are 10:1 while the plumes use a "Kuchera like" formula.  Case in point, Columbus's 21Z plume mean is 3.03", the Pivotal map has the capital city at 1.6.   I don't know what one will be closer in this particular storm considering all the wind, but I'd bet we would all rather see the bigger numbers, lol.

image.png.9973e4130cc515bb61cc3ea0e92b1507.png

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2
  • THANKS 1

2 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

While we wait on the pokey NAM a note about the SREF's.

I'll probably start up the SREF Tracker tomorrow.  Some may ask why since Pivotal has SREF Snow maps available.  These maps are 10:1 while the plumes use a "Kuchera like" formula.  Case in point, Columbus's 21Z plume mean is 3.03", the Pivotal map has the capital city at 1.6.   I don't know what one will be closer in this particular storm considering all the wind, but I'd bet we would all rather see the bigger numbers, lol.

image.png.9973e4130cc515bb61cc3ea0e92b1507.png

SREF Plumes formula seems more realistic than straight Kuchera.

• THINKING 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, RobB said:

SREF Plumes formula seems more realistic than straight Kuchera.

I never compared the two but I see it has a cap at 40:1 which, after yesterday's posts, appears to be too high as well.   I'll have to look more into it.

Since I live where First Energy considers 3 days without power a quick repair and the potential for this storm to negatively impact the local grid I finally caved and bought a portable ( 200 lbs.!) generator today. Will wire up the inlet and install panel lockout tomorrow. Hopefully I wont need it now that I have it.  ( Store says they sold a lot of generators today.)

• LIKE 5
  • THUMBS UP 1