December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

5 minutes ago, JayPSU said:

I’ve lived in central Ohio for 20 years now.  If you have to depend on both lake effect snow and backend snow to get that…you’re screwed.  😊.  Particularly lake effect.

this is not false, however....we've had over performing lake enhanced events before and if there was ever going to be a time to have it again, it would be with a 60 MPH wind off of both lake MI and Erie (based on low positioning)

both lakes are also ice free for now

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • TROPHY 1

Even if the models don’t show any precip, we usually get some lake enhanced showery stuff when the low is over Michigan and into Canada. 2020 Xmas was my favorite one. 

Edited by junior

2 minutes ago, JayPSU said:

I’ve lived in central Ohio for 20 years now.  If you have to depend on both lake effect snow and backend snow to get that…you’re screwed.  😊.  Particularly lake effect.

I don’t disagree, but before backend snows there’s still appreciable snow in areas of IN/MI/W. Ohio. 

A9BAF1C8-2DDB-4E82-A56D-7091878F146B.thumb.png.364f28644b2e60f5824750a71a7e3d59.png76EC6566-3D63-4FB5-B95F-7FF749AC8266.thumb.png.4e421d16129b4f57a6d87c9d1420979c.png

1 minute ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

this is not false, however....we've had over performing lake enhanced events before and if there was ever going to be a time to have it again, it would be with a 60 MPH wind off of both lake MI and Erie (based on low positioning)

For lake effect or lake enhanced to over-perform you really need low level convergence and there could be some. Unless there's some extra oomph to squeeze moisture out, it'll probably be unimpressive. Either way, such high winds means tiny, fractured flakes that struggle to stack up 🙁

14 minutes ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

For lake effect or lake enhanced to over-perform you really need low level convergence and there could be some. Unless there's some extra oomph to squeeze moisture out, it'll probably be unimpressive. Either way, such high winds means tiny, fractured flakes that struggle to stack up 🙁

Maybe but the fact its being picked up on by global models before we get the meso models is intriguing. I'm not over here looking to be in Orchard Park lol. I'm looking for .25-.30 frozen QPF over the course of the event to add up to 3-4'' of snow

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 4

4 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Maybe but the fact its being picked up on by global models before we get the meso models is intriguing. I'm not over here looking to be in Orchard Park lol. I'm looking for .25-.30 frozen QPF over the course of the event to add up to 3-4'' of snow

Orchard park* Overland is in Kansas and judging by @Ingyball report, I don't want to be there either haha

• LAUGH 2

Just now, ncinthenext3 said:

Some of the Toledo mets from WTOL have been saying "It's the wind" that will be the real feature of this storm.  Even a few inches would make some nice drifts with 40+ MPH extended winds.  

I agree.  It and the cold are the more dangerous side of this system.....

• LIKE 1

Just an observation about the 12z UK - It shows ZERO qpf in the entire state of Ohio between 12z Fri & 0z Sat - That doesn't seem legit. IMHO, these models are still struggling mightily with this system (and probably for good reason as this is a fairly unique setup)

Edited by MesoscaleBanding
  • THUMBS UP 4

5 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Just an observation about the 12z UK - It shows ZERO qpf in the entire state of Ohio between 12z Fri & 0z Sat - That doesn't seem legit. IMHO, these models are still struggling mightily with this system (and probably for good reason as this is a fairly unique setup)

I've heard many times that the UK can be an ok model with seeing where a storm is going, but is trash with precip amounts. 

• THUMBS UP 1