December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Indygirl said:

I would too!

Id love to have one. The important thing is can you get it hooked up properly, in time for the storm?

And do you know how to hook one up if you cannot get an electrician to do it? 

@RobB I hope you don't mind me butting in, but I wanted to make sure this question got answered.

Caveat, I'm not a electrician by any means but I have used a portable generator (several times a year) for the last 10 years.

There's a bit more to it than just buying a generator and "plugging it in. There are two ways to use a portable generator.

To power your house/household appliances.  You need to have two things....a 220 outlet/plug and a means to keep the generator power/electricity from back-feeding thru the powerlines leading into the house so anyone working on the lines are not electrocuted.  So, IMO, unless you have those two things currently, getting an electrician at this stage of the game to install the "stuff" is likely a difficult proposition.

To power just a few things like space heaters and the frig/freezer, you might be able to run an extension cord(s) outside and plug it in to the generator.

Edit to add:  Depending on your furnace requirements, you'll need a pretty big generator to power it.

I hope this helps.   Comments welcome.

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 2
  • THANKS 1
  • LOVE 2

2 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

@RobB I hope you don't mind me butting in, but I wanted to make sure this question got answered.

Caveat, I'm not a electrician by any means but I have used a portable generator (several times a year) for the last 10 years.

There's a bit more to it than just buying a generator and "plugging it in. There are two ways to use a portable generator.

To power your house/household appliances.  You need to have two things....a 220 outlet/plug and a means to keep the generator power/electricity from back-feeding thru the powerlines leading into the house so anyone working on the lines are electrocuted.  So, IMO, unless you have those two things currently, getting an electrician at this stage of the game to install the "stuff" is likely a difficult proposition.

To power just a few things like space heaters and the frig/freezer, you might be able to run an extension cord(s) outside and plug it in to the generator.

I'm glad ya did!  Hope those who are considering a generator see your post!  Excellent!

At the very least, those who lose power can put freezer items outside where it is cold...

Edited by RobB
  • LIKE 2

8 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

To power your house/household appliances.  You need to have two things....a 220 outlet/plug and a means to keep the generator power/electricity from back-feeding thru the powerlines leading into the house so anyone working on the lines are not electrocuted.  So, IMO, unless you have those two things currently, getting an electrician at this stage of the game to install the "stuff" is likely a difficult proposition.

Edit to add:  Depending on your furnace requirements, you'll need a pretty big generator to power it.

Exactly! Thank you! 

That’s what I was referring to but did not know what to say 

My hub corrected me on my naïveté long ago. It’s a little complicated, and if not done properly ?….can get you in trouble. 

• LIKE 1

11 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

Also to add on to this please make sure the generator is away from the house so fumes do not cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Seems every year it happens and it’s very unfortunate. 

• THUMBS UP 4