December 21st-24th, 2022 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

2 minutes ago, junior said:

The delayed amplification and moisture stealing wave to our east doesn’t help either 😅

Indeed!  This storm is still so fun to track even without lots of moisture.  Assuming it stays wound up.  The sudden cold will be something as we haven't had really true cold this season yet.

• THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, ak9971 said:

Agreed on the above. I’m excited for the modest snow potential, Im very nervous but interested to see the wind/cold funneling in so quickly. Hard to grasp such an ambient temperature change over the course of 6-12 hours. 

Totally!  System shock!

• LIKE 1

OK opinion time. I live in a farming community in the middle of the thumb surrounded by farm fields. It’s about an hour to the nearest city. We live in town, but do not have a generator. I am debating picking one up today as we tend to lose power with wind storms. my family has a generator about 45 minutes from me but I’m worried that if the power goes out we won’t be able to make it there due to the blizzard conditions. Also, of course, money is tight as it’s coming up to Christmas. If you were in my position would you pull the trigger on a generator with the idea that we could be facing power outages or would you chance it? For reference, I have young kids, including a baby.

Just now, Pros3lyte said:

OK opinion time. I live in a farming community in the middle of the thumb surrounded by farm fields. It’s about an hour to the nearest city. We live in town, but do not have a generator. I am debating picking one up today as we tend to lose power with wind storms. my family has a generator about 45 minutes from me but I’m worried that if the power goes out we won’t be able to make it there due to the blizzard conditions. Also, of course, money is tight as it’s coming up to Christmas. If you were in my position would you pull the trigger on a generator with the idea that we could be facing power outages or would you chance it? For reference, I have young kids, including a baby.

Better to have it and not use it than not have it and need it. Can always be returned.

• THUMBS UP 5

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, ak9971 said:

Agreed on the above. I’m excited for the modest snow potential, Im very nervous but interested to see the wind/cold funneling in so quickly. Hard to grasp such an ambient temperature change over the course of 6-12 hours. 

FWIW, this is for the NE OH area and based on last night's runs.  This event expected to rank near the top 5.

image.png.09dc6919e8e40e4a215f728641c6eaaa.png

• THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, Pros3lyte said:

IMO, I've been in a very similar situation. The Valentines ice storm, I was in Temperance without power for 3 days and had a 2 year old and a 4 month old. Not sure what I would've done without the generator powering furnace, fridge, etc. It doesn't hurt to be prepared. If I had the ability to, I would at least purchase the generator and have it available. If it is not needed, you may be able to return back to the store.

• LOVE 1

7 minutes ago, easton229 said:

Better to have it and not use it than not have it and need it. Can always be returned.

6 minutes ago, RobB said:

Agreed.  I'd pick one up......

Good wisdom- thank you both I think I will.

3 minutes ago, Indygirl said:

I would too!

Id love to have one. The important thing is can you get it hooked up properly, in time for the storm?

And do you know how to hook one up if you cannot get an electrician to do it? 

I luckily my father in law is able to come up before the storm and help me out- sow e should be able to squeak in just in time. I think I’ll probably get a smaller one to keep the heat on at least. The cold is the dangerous part!

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

Just now, Pros3lyte said:

Good wisdom- thank you both I think I will.

I luckily my father in law is able to come up before the storm and help me out- sow e should be able to squeak in just in time. I think I’ll probably get a smaller one to keep the heat on at least. The cold is the dangerous part!

Good luck and stay safe!

• LOVE 2

10 minutes ago, Pros3lyte said:

I will echo the same comments as above. We have 3 under 5 at our house and do not have a generator although it would not be much use as we have all electric heat. We do however have a fireplace if needed that can heat a room enough to get by for several days until we can drive somewhere if needed. All about being prepared in these situations. 

• THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

2 minutes ago, ryanmkay said:

IMO, I've been in a very similar situation. The Valentines ice storm, I was in Temperance without power for 3 days and had a 2 year old and a 4 month old. Not sure what I would've done without the generator powering furnace, fridge, etc. It doesn't hurt to be prepared. If I had the ability to, I would at least purchase the generator and have it available. If it is not needed, you may be able to return back to the store.

About 10 years ago we had a Christmas ice storm knock out power for 10 days with brutal cold on the backside. We had no generator and electric heat 😞 luckily we were all adults in the house. But looking back I’ve realized that’s something I never want to go through again

• THUMBS UP 1

13 minutes ago, Bman10 said:

Bernie caved in to the western track. 

Good to know. Selfishly, I'm holding out for just a hair more of a tick east. I'm riding that line in NW Ohio where it will come down to exactly where it goes. Even a 25-50 mile shift east will make a huge difference. 

• THUMBS UP 1

23 minutes ago, Pros3lyte said:

You don’t have to buy new. Look on facebook marketplace and get a cheap used one. If you don’t use it sell it back for what you paid.

1 minute ago, NWsnowhio said:

Good to know. Selfishly, I'm holding out for just a hair more of a tick east. I'm riding that line in NW Ohio where it will come down to exactly where it goes. Even a 25-50 mile shift east will make a huge difference. 

I’m with you on that one. Don’t need no low party at my house!

• THUMBS UP 1