December 22-24, 2022 | Winter Storm

Penn State

• Social Media Crew

So.. I've been thinking about this since the 12z runs. I wanted to put together a map with the different scenarios. The 18z GFS and GEFS looked good for the interior. It's early, and I wouldn't rule out coastal areas either. If the trough digs like the GFS depicts, the developing low should be at least an Apps Runner (Shown as the blue line on the eastern envelope).. and I would argue that the GEFS is showing a low that comes into the Tennessee Valley and fades into the Ohio Valley, with a transfer to the coast. That's a lot like the January 2016 storm, only without the confluence keeping it suppressed (would be more satisfactory for @PA road DAWG). Now.. the blue line on the western envelope is more what the GDPS is showing. That would indicate a more flat (progressive) trajectory, less dig. At the moment, I'm not buying the GDPS western route. The +PNA and -NAO do not agree with that.. and I sense that it's struggling with the injection of arctic air. I'm also not buying the OTS or benchmark routes of previous guidance. I like what the GEFS is showing.. and I like the transfer idea. I don't have access to the CIPS analogs; however, I'm curious what those show. If not a transfer, I like something running east of the apps, inland.. oddly, maybe similar to what that Korean model was showing. Whatever happens.. I think it's big. Synoptics suggest that's the case. Anyways.. all IMO. Curious what the meteorologists on here are thinking. 

1521380947_18zThoughts.thumb.png.2fd539002090ef1bdc719652c1465d3b.png 

Spoiler

18z GFS 

837576971_18zGFS(Hours126-198).gif.9ff0f204ddebcc1726357f026771d104.gif

18z GFS (500 mb)

1474329783_18zGFS500mb(Hours126-198).gif.b1f5ce4d4c0cf9baf51daec5b9dbbdbf.gif

18z GEFS

1108130167_18zGEFS(Hours126-198).gif.855bae4128597988010d752886d6b3d2.gif

• LIKE 7
  • LOVE 1

6 minutes ago, Penn State said:

So.. I've been thinking about this since the 12z runs. I wanted to put together a map with the different scenarios. The 18z GFS and GEFS looked good for the interior. It's early, and I wouldn't rule out coastal areas either. If the trough digs like the GFS depicts, the developing low should be at least an Apps Runner (Shown as the blue line on the eastern envelope).. and I would argue that the GEFS is showing a low that comes into the Tennessee Valley and fades into the Ohio Valley, with a transfer to the coast. That's a lot like the January 2016 storm, only without the confluence keeping it suppressed (would be more satisfactory for @PA road DAWG). Now.. the blue line on the western envelope is more what the GDPS is showing. That would indicate a more flat (progressive) trajectory, less dig. At the moment, I'm not buying the GDPS western route. The +PNA and -NAO do not agree with that.. and I sense that it's struggling with the injection of arctic air. I'm also not buying the OTS or benchmark routes of previous guidance. I like what the GEFS is showing.. and I like the transfer idea. I don't have access to the CIPS analogs; however, I'm curious what those show. If not a transfer, I like something running east of the apps, inland.. oddly, maybe similar to what that Korean model was showing. Whatever happens.. I think it's big. Synoptics suggest that's the case. Anyways.. all IMO. Curious what the meteorologists on here are thinking. 

1521380947_18zThoughts.thumb.png.2fd539002090ef1bdc719652c1465d3b.png 

Reveal hidden contents

18z GFS 

837576971_18zGFS(Hours126-198).gif.9ff0f204ddebcc1726357f026771d104.gif

18z GFS (500 mb)

1474329783_18zGFS500mb(Hours126-198).gif.b1f5ce4d4c0cf9baf51daec5b9dbbdbf.gif

18z GEFS

1108130167_18zGEFS(Hours126-198).gif.855bae4128597988010d752886d6b3d2.gif

This is about the only thing you can take to the bank since the turn of the millennium. Whatever the deal may be with climate change, the power and moisture of storms now is on another level. It's always go big time now. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

Just now, PA road DAWG said:

Remember; we never want to see too much amplification early on in the game.  Amped storms all have a tendency to travel poleward/cut

Curious if the old adage of Snow follows Snow is in play here? With daytime highs below freezing for the upcoming week will the existing Snowpack influence the placement, if you will, of the incoming system? 

1 minute ago, Lazman said:

Curious if the old adage of Snow follows Snow is in play here? With daytime highs below freezing for the upcoming week will the existing Snowpack influence the placement, if you will, of the incoming system? 

Usually yes. But with this monster amped storms they tend to have a mind of their own and do what they want.  

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, StretchCT said:

Glad to see everyone is back! (Almost everyone)

Lots of familiar names over here. Seems there’s been a migration and have just found out about it.

edit: tho I’m just a lurker since the accuweather days (they never let me get an account set up!)

Edited by rmo09001
  • LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1

4 hours ago, LongIslanGurlllll said:

🙃🙃

Glad I didn’t disappoint! I have my Tito’s in hand as well 🍸

FYI…. I did ask the other side a months ago to point me in the right direction and I didn’t get very far til now 

It feels like there’s a parallel universe going on right now with this and another site, sort of like the spider man movie 

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1

36 minutes ago, LongIslanGurlllll said:

I cannot explain how much this made me laugh one night …. I also will not fess up to how much Tito’s was involved 🤦🏼‍♀️😂😂

snobal posted in other forum just now. is he not here?

• Social Media Crew

I had an opportunity to tune into Bernie’s Twitter Live. For those interested.. he is targeting a track as far west as about Indianapolis and as far east as I-95, but not east of I-95. He did mention that folks as far east as Harrisburg are still in the game.. and as far west as St. Louis and Chicago. I had the sense that places like Columbus and Pittsburgh were the target zone. I did throw in a question about a transfer, and he specifically said that it wasn’t out of the question. Take it FWIW.. Let’s see what the 00z runs can throw at us. 

Edited by Penn State
  • LIKE 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

She 'gon cut, face it, we CANT have something this good on Christmas, it just doesnt happen 😉 (Some real hardcore scientific analysis there 😉

Relying on that old "reverse psychology" standby. Hope it works out. :classic_smile: