December 22-24, 2022 | Winter Storm

Penn State

Our less than a 1/2" forecast has been bumped to 2"-4".  We've been getting dumped on since 6ish.  We may have 4" already.  Much of our snow melted today but it looks like a White Christmas was saved by unexpected snow.  I'd hate to be out driving in this tonight, with visibility limited and ice under the snow on the roads.  

• SNOWMAN 3
  • LOVE 1

• Admin

The Versant, submit an outage form, is broken. Not like I am expecting anything tonight but I do feel it is my right to join the other 100,000 people in submitting a grievance, lol.

Usually there are large groups in outages where it is generally a single fix. Tonight's outage map is a potpourri and I'm guessing there are 100's of little breaks. They are going to be busy for a few days.

1814298012_Screenshot2022-12-23at9_18_48PM.thumb.png.4fb0131ec181b5714ab0271e1dd45657.png

I'm guessing this is the gust that I thought was a freight train coming though my living room.

Thankfully, I think we're though the worst of it now.

• LIKE 1
  • SHOCKED 1
  • FLUSHED 1

1 hour ago, TheRex said:

Our less than a 1/2" forecast has been bumped to 2"-4".  We've been getting dumped on since 6ish.  We may have 4" already.  Much of our snow melted today but it looks like a White Christmas was saved by unexpected snow.  I'd hate to be out driving in this tonight, with visibility limited and ice under the snow on the roads.  

We ended up getting 1/4", although the entire day was filled with wind driven mood flakes and some brief periods of steady microflake snow. 1 degree, street has windblown white across it. Looks great out there.

• LIKE 1

3 hours ago, Rush said:

Blizzard at the north pole 

Santa uses that cover to take off.  Throws off Norad and any other satellites from tracking him from the start.  His village remains a secret to this day, better guarded than Area 51.

• LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 1

Rain all last night and most of this morning.  Winds are fierce, 40+ I believe.  Was 46 earlier and now at 17.  Got very cold quick.  No precipitation where I am now.  Roads were salted prior to the drop in temperature. 

• SHIVERING 1

• Admin
40 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

The Versant, submit an outage form, is broken. Not like I am expecting anything tonight but I do feel it is my right to join the other 100,000 people in submitting a grievance, lol.

Usually there are large groups in outages where it is generally a single fix. Tonight's outage map is a potpourri and I'm guessing there are 100's of little breaks. They are going to be busy for a few days.

1814298012_Screenshot2022-12-23at9_18_48PM.thumb.png.4fb0131ec181b5714ab0271e1dd45657.png

I'm guessing this is the gust that I thought was a freight train coming though my living room.

Thankfully, I think we're though the worst of it now.

This is why I hate the idea of electric heat. 

I'll stick with oil and propane because in these situations, at least I'm not worried about frostbite in my home. 

• THUMBS UP 2

• Admin
30 minutes ago, clm said:

Santa uses that cover to take off.  Throws off Norad and any other satellites from tracking him from the start.  His village remains a secret to this day, better guarded than Area 51.

Nah. We just have an agreement with the jolly red man. Jack frost tried to become Santa... Seal team elf took care of that 

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 2

• Admin
33 minutes ago, Uscg Ast said:

I'll stick with oil and propane because in these situations, at least I'm not worried about frostbite in my home. 

I have an oil furnace, but need electricity to run it. 

That said, I'm fine and planned for this event so I'm pretty cozy sitting in front of my Kerosene heater and have an electric radiator in my bedroom + heated blanked. Generator is going to earn it's keep tonight. 

• LIKE 2

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Uscg Ast said:

I need the generator to run the oil furnace.  Crap things keep blinking here.  I thought WSW winds were supposed to be warm.

Edited by StretchCT
  • LIKE 1

• Moderators

Parts of the CT coast that flooded now have left over water freezing in the roads.  And I'll concede now that I'm 50° colder than at 7am, that's a pretty impressive temp change.  It didn't happen quickly though.

Edited by StretchCT
  • LIKE 1

Wind has been ripping through.  Opened the locked door on my screened in porch.  Heard something thud onto the roof, too.  We’re at 7 degrees, with an expected low of 9.

F7B12EC4-4F24-4575-AC8B-9E6CC83723F0.jpeg

Edited by Burr
  • SHIVERING 2