December 22-24, 2022 | Winter Storm

Penn State

1 hour ago, Brodozer1 said:

closing schools in ct for friday storm closings 

because local news making a big deal out of a rainstorm lmao  

WFSB's webpage only lists two school districts closed for tomorrow.  As a teacher, this is something i'm following very closely. 😉

• LIKE 2

24 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Probably a half day anyway.  Newtown is.  Actually, they really get hosed with only M-F off next week.  

image.thumb.png.4d9b89a8a49bcb8e762710100823d0d3.png

And the following Monday, Jan 2.  At least we get that one...but i suspect we're in tomorrow.

20 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Think this one is going in the books as 3.75". No additional accum the past hour despite atomic flakes and at time bigger flakes. 34 degrees out.

View from the "office"

20221222_140805.jpg

Returning the favor.....,💣

Edited by Lazman
  • LAUGH 1

• Moderators

Oh damn.....HRRR saying I may wake up to 6" by morning....guess that seems to be the trend with this one.

Went down to my ex's to start up the generator and show her how to get it plugged into the dryer outlet and configure the panel...but the pull start wouldn't engage. Decided instead of dicking around with it and probably only making it worse, brought it up here to my next door neighbor's small engine shop (beast must weight at least 150lbs)...not easy getting into my back seat as it's too big for the trunk. Sweet...now will have a generator if I lose power. Sorry Sheila...but not sorry. She at least has a wood stove. I've got no heat when I lose power.

• LAUGH 2

2 hours ago, so_whats_happening said:

Im expecting a random gust to 50 from this but should see sustained 20-30mph most of tomorrow. If we can mix out well we could get to about 35-40 sustained for a bit

I might be on the high side, this is RDG

Spoiler

firefox_2022-12-22_14-39-48.thumb.png.c56a433cc86586fee458d4d347fb4765.png

I gotta stay away from Mount Washington's weather it's really amazing the conditions it sees.

A massive low pressure system will produce hazardous weather conditions at the higher summits over this forecast period. This system's pressure is forecasted to drop from around 1000 millibars Thursday night to the upper 950s by Friday. Therefore, since a lower pressure means a stronger storm system, this low pressure system will undergo rapid intensification as it tracks west of the higher summits. This strengthening system will translate to powerful winds, periods of heavy snow, ice accumulation, and white-out conditions at the higher summits during this forecast period. Thursday morning will start with mostly clear conditions due to lingering high pressure. Weather conditions will change by Thursday afternoon as the approaching storm pushes high pressure east away from the region. The summit will quickly become shrouded in fog by Thursday afternoon as southerly winds advect moisture into the area. Snow will start by Thursday evening, and could become heavy early during the night due to a surge of cold air filtering in with the system. Strong pressure gradients will lead southeast winds to increase Thursday night, with gusts likely nearing 100 mph at the summit. Precipitation will change to a mix of freezing rain and sleet near midnight Thursday as strong southeasterly winds usher in warmer air. Winds will continue to increase Friday with gusts frequently exceeding 100 mph and possibly even reaching as high as 150 mph. Freezing rain and sleet will continue Friday, with the chance for half an inch to an inch of ice accumulation at the higher summits during the day. Precipitation will transition back to snow by Friday night as a strong cold front filters in much colder air. Temperatures will plummet Friday night, with significantly colder air and elevated winds dropping wind chill values to 35 below to 25 below.

Edited by TLChip
  • LIKE 1

1 hour ago, Bradjl2009 said:

I mean, I would also I would imagine many schools we're just going to do a half day tomorrow anyway, so would it really be worth having everyone go to school on a day where I would imagine little if anything productive will be done?

really its freaking rain go to school dam kids need to learn that's what's wrong with this country pussafied 

• THUMBS UP 2

Wow, an extra day for Christmas break does it really matter? I think it's good, enjoy time with family and hangout at home you could call it forced family fun time. Life is short enjoy it 🍻

I still never tried the boiling water in extreme cold; MJ got any juicy terms for this?

Edited by TLChip
  • LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Brodozer1 said:

really its freaking rain go to school dam kids need to learn that's what's wrong with this country pussafied 

Dude, there's no learning going on in school tomorrow.  Do you not remember going to school?

• THUMBS UP 1
  • FIRE 1
  • SNOWMAN 1

1 hour ago, Hobie said:

WFSB's webpage only lists two school districts closed for tomorrow.  As a teacher, this is something i'm following very closely. 😉

Seymour pub schools Thomaston pub school Waterbury pub school just started closing.

You think they all close at the same time and make a list i am not a teacher and know this .😂 Middletown schools don't announce until 5 am they all do different times, but you should know this.

Edited by Brodozer1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, TLChip said:

Wow, an extra day for Christmas break does it really matter? I think it's good, enjoy time with family and hangout at home you could call it forced family fun time. Life is short enjoy it 🍻

Yeah, my son's last day at school was Monday, my daughter's was yesterday...and she's not back in until the 9th. I'm just happy not to need to chauffeur them for a while. My daughter is in the kitchen now baking christmas desserts in case we lose power for a while. 👩‍🍳 

Time to get into Obs mode. Currently 32F out there. Radar starting to fill in...maybe an interesting drive home from work at like 9-10 tonight

Edited by telejunkie
  • LIKE 3
  • SNOWMAN 1

• Meteorologist
14 minutes ago, TLChip said:

I might be on the high side, this is RDG

Reveal hidden contents

firefox_2022-12-22_14-39-48.thumb.png.c56a433cc86586fee458d4d347fb4765.png

I gotta stay away from Mount Washington's weather it's really amazing the conditions it sees.

Yea we will see forecasting instantaneous gusts is rather hard. If we can clear out properly before nightfall there is a chance in the late afternoon if things can mix properly we have winds at 925mb about 45knots and 850mb around 50-55 knots. Getting a random 42knot reading isn't too out of the question. Again assuming we can clear out in the afternoon once night hits I doubt we go much above 40mph but damn cold!

20 minutes ago, Brodozer1 said:

Lmao dude, tomorrow is the day before a nearly two week long break for schools when many are having a half day. Do you really think they are going to learn anything tomorrow? When I was in school, we sure as hell didn't do much of anything on the day before Christmas break began.

• THUMBS UP 1

Just now, Bradjl2009 said:

@Pghsnow I've been really liking how this has been trending over the last 4 hours or so for us. 

Yes, no doubt. Seeing the EURO come in has me excited for possibly 2-4. NAM had uptick and the short termers are not reliable yet for our area. 

• THUMBS UP 1