December 22-24, 2022 | Winter Storm

Penn State

• Social Media Crew

00z GFS and 00z GDPS showing some similarities. There’s a lot of time remaining on this one, but the evolution of guidance has been favorable. We need the trough to dig, axis more west.. and maybe for the energy down south to slow down. Setup is favorable for a Miller A scenario. Lots of potential here, just waiting for some magic lol 

00z GFS 

floop-gfs-2022121500.prateptype_cat.conus.gif.6d2886bb8d8b0df834b6a5a6829dbea5.gif

00z GDPS

floop-gdps-2022121500.prateptype.conus.gif.a745acf91e60aa3f42a2dda9c588435f.gif

• LIKE 1

Honestly I don’t want the storm in perfect position this far out because a) gets everyone’s hope up too early just to get dashed and b) let’s be real always and I mean always the storm gets lost in the 4-5 day window only to come back a day later (I know that’s a couple of days away). 

As always this far out, is there a signal, check that’s good enough for me. 

Edited by Chris2333
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

Large timing discrepancies to work out 

I’m nearly certain, without looking, that last nights impressive eps suit was solely focused on amping the initial drive down from the north into a long wave/ull around the 23…..

where as the 12z gfs and gem focus on rotating and involving a second parcel arriving around a day or so later and according to gfs another soon after that 

So although solutions between suits may look close there is a lot timing wise to work out between all these ingredients.  So buyers beware on any deterministic solution.  I’d go as far as say buyers beware on any probalistic mean too as we are smack dab in the middle of a synchronous wave train battle 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Social Media Crew
6 minutes ago, Doser1 said:

getting through tonight then moving on to this storm  

No worries. I’ll hold down the fort until everyone gets here 😂 My fort is just wet.. while all you lucky ones get the snow! 

• LIKE 2

Sterling mentions storm(s)  on last line. 

LONG TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/... Building high pressure at the surface will dominate the region through the middle of next week leading to fair weather conditions, but keep things on the chilly side of climatology. Models continue to suggest potential for storminess during the second half of next week and during the Christmas Holiday weekend.

• THUMBS UP 1

1 hour ago, Penn State said:

No worries. I’ll hold down the fort until everyone gets here 😂 My fort is just wet.. while all you lucky ones get the snow! 

1 hour ago, Penn State said:

no snow here 

• SAD 1