December 22-24, 2022 | Winter Storm

Penn State

At any rate, looks like another rain storm similar to last week on tap along the Jersey Coast.  

Since it's a GLC hoping for a different wind direction.  The last Noreaster lambasted my shore facing eastern windows and we got some leakage underneath the sill.  

Not sure where it's coming from or how to figure that out without calling a professional 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, StretchCT said:

GFS is sooooo consistent

The rabbit holes I fall down into... but I find this interesting.  I showed in the last post how the GFS wasn't consistent (the italics represented sarcasm for those who don't know me) for 0z Saturday.

Later in the forecast, it's more consistent.

Spoiler

gfs_z500_vort_eus_fh126_trend.thumb.gif.cb0b1e40ac0f5afd7105c526c26e4cdc.gif

And earlier its less

Spoiler

gfs_z500_vort_eus_fh96_trend.thumb.gif.3ead7f77d9fa3aa90c8c3377a6547763.gif

Weird, you'd think the opposite.

43 minutes ago, Tater said:

If you really want to know what went down at the other site, you are welcome to PM me and ask. If you still have access to the other site, I can provide links to the relevant threads.

Be forewarned though, it's probably best if you just recognize enough *stuff* went down for us to realize we had to leave, and abide by Fight Club or Vegas rules.

no thanks none of my business didn't know it was that deep. Just glad i found this place let's move on and be happy. now will you make it snow please 

• LIKE 2

• Moderators

GEFS shifted the ULL 250 miles NE since the 0z 

673345431_gfs-ens_z500_vort_eus_fh96_trend(1).thumb.gif.fecceb3a3469ecd26405287365b7544e.gif

EPS pretty much same area last 36 hrs.  Curious to see 12z and if it holds or moves further east.

Spoiler

eps_z500_vort_eus_fh102_trend.thumb.gif.667a83ae2de79b6332039b41dbcb4c4f.gif

Edited by StretchCT

In any areas that experience rain to snow and the flash freeze, road travel is going to be pretty ugly through all of Christmas weekend most likely. The temperatures that are projected are well below the point where standard rock salt will work well. 

• LIKE 1
  • SHOCKED 1
  • FACEPALM 1

24 minutes ago, Bradjl2009 said:

In any areas that experience rain to snow and the flash freeze, road travel is going to be pretty ugly through all of Christmas weekend most likely. The temperatures that are projected are well below the point where standard rock salt will work well. 

Yeah, this is a little concerning for me. We're driving from San Diego back to Connecticut for the holidays. Original plan was to leave Wednesday AM, but we're going to head out tomorrow morning ~4a. We'll also have to push south versus cutting across the Ohio Valley, but I think we should be ahead of the front... Did it in 3 days last year, so hoping to get "home" late Thursday.

Edited by rmo09001
  • LIKE 3
  • WOW 2
  • THANKS 1

1 minute ago, rmo09001 said:

Yeah, this is a little concerning for me. We're driving from San Diego back to Connecticut for the holidays. Original plan was to leave Wednesday AM, but we're going to head out tomorrow morning ~4a. We'll also have to push south versus cutting across the Ohio Valley, but I think we should be ahead of the front... Did it in 3 days last year, so hoping to get "home" late Thursday.

Wow. Best of luck having a safe trip driving that far.

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, rmo09001 said:

My biggest concern for you is where you're crossing the Apps and timing of that crossing as the central Apps looking to possibly get a front end thumping on Thursday afternoon...but if you're already across then you should be good. Good luck!

4 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

My biggest concern for you is where you're crossing the Apps and timing of that crossing as the central Apps looking to possibly get a front end thumping on Thursday afternoon...but if you're already across then you should be good. Good luck!

Totally. Gonna be keeping a close eye. Worst case, we bought extra time leaving early, so if we've gotta hunker down, we'll do so.

• Moderators

But, as inconsistent as the GFS and GEM have been, they've all managed to converge the ULL in the same general area for the 12z run. edit:  just remembered the 12z GFS run is usually the best one for verification scores.  

models-2022121912-f096.500wh.conus.thumb.gif.8c935e6b692425a3ccd4fab9b0a5135d.gif

Edited by StretchCT
  • LIKE 1

2 hours ago, Bradjl2009 said:

flash freeze what you think this is the day after tomorrow ,  cold fronts move in gets windy dries everything up nothing flash freezes  

The model of consistency... 😂 I have never documented this but it seems that whenever a big storm happens there was a much earlier run that modeled it then lost it.  I am certainly hoping it was the Friday 18z run...😀

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_fh96_trend.gif

• LAUGH 1