December 22-24, 2022 | Winter Storm

Penn State

The best way for me to keep my hopes in check is to look at historical data for my area, Hagerstown, MD.
In 7 of the previous 8 Decembers, a total of less than 2” of snow fell in the entire month. 

Add up the December snowfall for those 7 years in Hagerstown and you get about 4.5 inches. That’s a grand total of less than 5 inches of snow in 217 December days. That just screams, “it ain’t gonna snow.” 

If Thursday/Friday doesn’t produce measurable snow then we might just add another 31 December snowless days to that dreadful tally. Crazy, but it is what it is. 

• YUCK 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Social Media Crew

So.. this is all biased folks trying to create a narrative around an eastern shift, right? I mean.. this is the 84th hour on the NAM. All of the weather community has come to a consensus that this is going to cut through the Midwest. 
0A02D201-B409-4F31-B8DB-6EE7E74DAE98.thumb.jpeg.54fd6c9b32670528e7a0e90012d83224.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Penn State said:

So.. this is all biased folks trying to create a narrative around an eastern shift, right? I mean.. this is the 84th hour on the NAM. All of the weather community has come to a consensus that this is going to cut through the Midwest. 
0A02D201-B409-4F31-B8DB-6EE7E74DAE98.thumb.jpeg.54fd6c9b32670528e7a0e90012d83224.jpeg

They've been at this shit for weeks. Apparently just getting attention is all they care about anymore. I mean, anything is possible with the weather but going against the consensus is a losing proposition more often than not. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 4

• Social Media Crew

floop-gfs-2022121900.snku_acc.us_ne.gif.eae21c91086cab7b995222f12af9abf1.gifI’m just amazed by this.. So, if you can pick out Franklin County, PA.. we get about 2-4” on the front (3-6 hours) and then pick up about 9” in a 3 hour period between Hours 117 and 120 when the front passes through. I’ll go streaking in the snow if that happens. GFS is smoking crack. 😂 

Edit: Just looked and parts of NWPA pick up 2 feet in 6 hours. No. Just.. no. 

Edited by Penn State
  • LAUGH 4

8 hours ago, CandO100 said:

And if tomorrow, someone starts a post with data signaling a “potential” storm a week or more out, I’ll take the hook. It’s just who we are, right? Snow junkies! 

It normally takes about 2-3 times getting burnt by the models in the 5-7 day time frame each winter before I become numb to it.  This is #1.

Edited by Rush
  • LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

7 hours ago, Penn State said:

floop-gfs-2022121900.snku_acc.us_ne.gif.eae21c91086cab7b995222f12af9abf1.gifI’m just amazed by this.. So, if you can pick out Franklin County, PA.. we get about 2-4” on the front (3-6 hours) and then pick up about 9” in a 3 hour period between Hours 117 and 120 when the front passes through. I’ll go streaking in the snow if that happens. GFS is smoking crack. 😂 

Based on recent history, I am shaving 80% off of the GFS snow maps. Lol

9 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Based on recent history, I am shaving 80% off of the GFS snow maps. Lol

the rule I always follow when looking at snow maps is to take the least snowiest model output, cut it in half and that is the top end amount you can expect.  cut it in half again and that is the most likely amount you'll get (if everything works out just right). 

• LAUGH 3
  • BOMBOGENESIS 1

There’s good reasons why we refer to those maps as “clown maps,” “eye candy,” etc. yet we still love to look at them and dream. You know, because one day they’ll verify and all will be forgotten. We’re such snow map pushovers. 

In all seriousness though, thank you to those of you who put in the time and energy to track these “potential” storms. Your analysis is appreciated.

Even though these storms don’t often work out for my area it’s still a lot of fun in here and it beats having to rely solely on major outlets. Win or lose, at least in here we can have a few laughs and it’s well worth my time.

Merry Christmas y’all 

• LIKE 3

10 hours ago, Penn State said:

Downtown Chambersburg looks especially beautiful this year.... excellent decorations.. hot laps around the tree maybe?

In seriousness- I've been a member since the Accu days.  I don't post much, but I read and learn.  I appreciate how well you have kept this thread up and presented all of the information- even if the information doesn't show what we want it to!

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

1 hour ago, Doser1 said:

off topic what the ---- happened over at wdisco did i miss something all newbies over there glad i found this place  

I've never been able to piece that together either.  maybe someone will PM us

hint, hint.  

3 minutes ago, Miller A said:

I've never been able to piece that together either.  maybe someone will PM us

hint, hint.  

I think, for the most part people didn’t know where everyone went. I saw a post the other day that mentioned this group.

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 2

1 hour ago, Doser1 said:

off topic what the ---- happened over at wdisco did i miss something all newbies over there glad i found this place  

Last year planet master went mad about climate change and then this group was started so as not to be involved with his insanity and name calling. I don’t know what goes on there now as I was banned from the group lol.

So far wxsphere is a way better atmosphere and better forum.

• LIKE 4
  • SHOCKED 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

From another board:

"I am optimistic to a fault. So I will search for late saves despite strong evidence that argues otherwise. But at this point I think I am pretty much ready to put a fork into this for chances for anyone outside of the deep interior into the lakes. Even here in the mountains of WV I am having serious doubts on my thoughts of reaching the low end of my 6-12" prediction I have held onto for days now.

Just an observation on the latest GFS (06Z) and maybe something to keep an eye on in later runs.

What we have in a northern sw (Nebraska) dropping down towards a sw in Texas. It does present some opportunities if the pv suppression in the East can relax quickly enough to allow amplification on its backside. The 00Z starting popping this out. Looking at the vorticity you can see this actually isn't a bad little setup."

image.thumb.png.b92f91bc443f57bcd2380cc2ea8bcc65.pngimage.thumb.png.02df471195340f595416a60eb6e4d806.png

"This is what we are seeing after the above post. ^^^^^

There was a very sloppy phasing between the two sws where we now have a sw through Alabama/Georgia. Looking above it, we now have a NS vorticity that is dropping on its backside where it just misses. We were really close to seeing a triple phaser there. Hmmmm......."

image.thumb.png.a02b5333bfe63b37dbafbd5558361b5b.png

• LIKE 1

• Moderators

If you really want to know what went down at the other site, you are welcome to PM me and ask. If you still have access to the other site, I can provide links to the relevant threads.

Be forewarned though, it's probably best if you just recognize enough *stuff* went down for us to realize we had to leave, and abide by Fight Club or Vegas rules.

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Miller A said:

did anyone tell Snobal?  I havent found where to search members yet

No Snobal here, at least under that name.  Some changed their names, so who knows.  It's like you can get a fresh opportunity to start a new life here.

Edited by StretchCT