December 22-24, 2022 | Winter Storm

Penn State

1 minute ago, JDClapper said:

WPC seems to be putting some stock in the backend snows. 1:30pm update.

Screenshot_20221218-135443_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221218-135511_Chrome.jpg

Looks like that's all we can hope for around here. Now the nice thing is a powerful arctic front isn't something that usually disappoints. The insane temp swing along with that much dynamics aloft should be money for an overperfornance. Situation like this is one of the few times that upslope makes it over the mountains for a while. But fronts like this are super rare so it's gonna go under some people's radar. I think Friday will be quite a snowy day even if it's not a large amount. I'll take it at this point for sure.  Let's get merry right on time. 

• LIKE 1

19 minutes ago, NEPAsnow said:

why does  the NAM have the coastal but the GFS and the Euro don't seem to have it at all.

image.thumb.png.66dc6b7145aba9056eaebff21db847f7.png

The European does have a front end disturbance but it's a bit more west and north than what this NAM is showing. 

23 minutes ago, Bradjl2009 said:

Weird run. Even a little further west with the main area of heavy snow than at noon, but it ups totals for us in Western PA

Yea I wonder if we need to keep rooting for this to go even more west if possible now. There are so many players not sure which way to root for them to best affect us. 

• THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
38 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Almost sounds like a best case scenario is no flooding.

GYX

Screenshot_20221218-175929.thumb.png.490ed4d61646aa91f3b9066210a03868.png

I'm not sure if I said it in here... But I wonder with such an artic boundary pressing through, will this still try to spin up something along the front on the coast 

• LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

5 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Les is one of a kind.  

Les took a drink out of my hand and chugged it once.   House of Blues Orlando.  2007(ish).   Pre-smart phone so I have no photos and he did not pay to replace my drink.   All I have is a story... and like $12 less dollars!  😁

• SHOCKED 1
  • LAUGH 2
  • TROPHY 1

49 minutes ago, Pghsnow said:

Yea I wonder if we need to keep rooting for this to go even more west if possible now. There are so many players not sure which way to root for them to best affect us. 

It looks like things have been trending a little slower with also better low placement for lake enhanced.gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh138_trend.thumb.gif.f36a50c74b29ea8de6b3d8c8ec579d0d.gif

• THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
51 minutes ago, Uscg Ast said:

I'm not sure if I said it in here... But I wonder with such an artic boundary pressing through, will this still try to spin up something along the front on the coast 

I can see how some meso feature could perhaps enhance snow squall type activity, but the 850 circulation is racing off so quick, that I don't see how we can gin up much more.

Last storm was moving so slow, there was time to pinch off the warmth at 850.

For being back to back storms, they have very different personalities.

gfs_z850_vort_eus_fh114-150.thumb.gif.5792aedce33322bdbcb0fbf266c84f68.gif

• THANKS 1

If nothing else, let this be yet another lesson in falling prey to modeling that is 8 days out. Getting hopes up at that range leads to disappointment so often yet people continue to fall into the trap. For every time you spread the word about a snowstorm a week away that no one is talking about and it happens and you look like a weather savant, there are 5 times it doesn't happen and you look like a moron. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

51 minutes ago, 1816 said:

If nothing else, let this be yet another lesson in falling prey to modeling that is 8 days out. Getting hopes up at that range leads to disappointment so often yet people continue to fall into the trap. For every time you spread the word about a snowstorm a week away that no one is talking about and it happens and you look like a weather savant, there are 5 times it doesn't happen and you look like a moron. 

Only 5 times? Lol

• THUMBS UP 1