December 22-24, 2022 | Winter Storm

Penn State

No surprises on 12z GFS. Front end winter to rain. I tend to think that "backend" snow is just because the temp at the time stamp is cold, but the precip occurred before it was cold enough to be anything substantion. Just an algorithym thing. But thats just my opinion.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_fh102-138.gif

• Admin
4 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

No surprises on 12z GFS. Front end winter to rain. I tend to think that "backend" snow is just because the temp at the time stamp is cold, but the precip occurred before it was cold enough to be anything substantion. Just an algorithym thing. But thats just my opinion.

Snow blowing over from the OHV.

🤪

At least it won't be 9° over here right after it rains. Seriously, how many times in winter am I 40° warmer than you?

180911637_gfs_T2m_neus_24(1).thumb.png.f947e5a3a3fc7d9b72abce1827da2da3.png

• SHOCKED 1

1 minute ago, MaineJay said:

Snow blowing over from the OHV.

🤪

At least it won't be 9° over here right after it rains. Seriously, how many times in winter am I 40° warmer than you?

180911637_gfs_T2m_neus_24(1).thumb.png.f947e5a3a3fc7d9b72abce1827da2da3.png

And you still get a foot more of snow during events. Weather is dumb.

• THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist

I didnt happen to see a thread for it but still think we should watch the few days after Christmas. GFS all but lost it which is never a surprise but greenland block finally looks to be knocked out and typically this is when we stand the best chance of a storm still decent heights out west we will have a fresh batch of cold air not like these past systems where it was utterly marginal at best. Just something to keep an eye on is all.

I should add this is according to the GFS that it knocks out the greenland block, many others still show it as feature.

Edited by so_whats_happening
  • LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

• Meteorologist
5 minutes ago, Bucikaroo said:

Someone explain this forecast it’s confusing cause they have 53 with frozen mix

EB665F54-DB87-4B49-A78F-54B5A01D5DE9.png

It just means initial precip may start as a mix, then as the day goes on temp goes up to about 53 which would turn things to rain and then a low that evening of 44 which wouldn't be the daily low since earlier that morning it was most likely lower given the mix that was around.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_fh96-114.gif

Edited by so_whats_happening

1 hour ago, JDClapper said:

Normally I agree, but the push of Arctic air with this system is quite impressive so I'm hoping it will manage to give me some snow in the end back here in Pittsburgh.

• LIKE 1

• Admin
Just now, Bradjl2009 said:

Normally I agree, but the push of Arctic air with this system is quite impressive so I'm hoping it will manage to give me some snow in the end back here in Pittsburgh.

I think something to keep an eye on: that artic boundary pushing thorough is a classic baroclynic boundary. Coast should watch for a spin up. 

• THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, Bradjl2009 said:

I'm riding the Korean .. it has loved WPa. 😆

• THINKING 1
  • LAUGH 2

2 minutes ago, Bradjl2009 said:

Pretty sad this is what it has come to. Don't look at the Euro.

Yea... Disapointing. Bernie said he still expects Pittsburgh to get several inches. Is riding the GFS.