December 22-24, 2022 | Winter Storm

Penn State

• Admin
1 minute ago, Weathertop said:

Seems like through hour 156, GEFS refuses to back down, as of 6z run today.

90DBBCE1-99ED-44F8-B586-716A592B49EA.gif

I think @telejunkie discussed that the GFS and it's ensembles seen willing to break some energy off early, bringing it east near James Bay. This allows the pattern to be progressive enough where the longwave trof can get to the coast.

EPS

22122306_1700.gif.c18ddbd64f1ffe6d5cce69b35973bd53.gif

GEFS22122312_1706.gif.90bba97dc8c37742ac86a7203dc60c75.gif

Looks like there's more variability in the EPS, though only a handful that would get the job done, a non zero chance at least.  Less spread in the GEFS probably doesn't mean it's more "correct", probably just not capturing the entire envelope.

. Not the steps we wanted to see to be sure, but it's worth giving it at least a couple more cycles before tossing the threat completely, might not be a while lot to talk about otherwise.

• LIKE 2

Sterlings latest info  wetter with snow  but low confidence in snow. 

For Thursday and Friday, the details of the forecast become much more muddy. There is still a large discrepancy amongst the guidance regarding a strong push of arctic air and a low pressure system expected to develop on the leading edge. The trend in the past few model runs has been to develop a surface low along the Appalachains, resulting in a wetter solution over our region rather than wintry precipitation. This is shown in almost all of the global guidance (Euro, Canadian, ICON, and the JMA). However, the GFS continues to depict a more wintry scenario. All things considered, will keep some mention of snow in the forecast, but admittedly confidence in that has certainly decreased overnight. Confidence remains high though that an arctic airmass will be in place for Friday into the weekend. This will result in very cold temperatures by Friday. Guidance hints at some very gusty winds Friday into Friday night as well, so that will also make it feel even colder

• LIKE 1

• Admin
8 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Wpc updates, dunno if if it considers 0z data or not. And yeah, EPS is sad for interior PA.

Screenshot_20221217-061545_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221217-061600_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221217-061619_Chrome.jpg

We'll be building a snowman today, and if these current forecasts holds, perhaps a time lapse of his demise will be in order.

Screenshot_20221217-063145.thumb.png.9dbb44eb7467e215cf3abf6d1a5bc982.png

• LIKE 2
  • SAD 1
  • MELTING 2

1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

We'll be building a snowman today, and if these current forecasts holds, perhaps a time lapse of his demise will be in order.

Screenshot_20221217-063145.thumb.png.9dbb44eb7467e215cf3abf6d1a5bc982.png

Im old enough to remember when, within 24 hours, EPS had a 2% of a dud for the last system here. Granted this is 6ish days away, but wonder if we'll have the same "luck" this go around. 😄

• LAUGH 1

Growing up in the south, I still get excited anytime we get to see snow, and would love to see a white Christmas, but I am not so sure how much to hope for this.  The idea of snow is great, but that is some cold coming in with it.  Roanoke does reasonably well with keeping the city and valley area cleared, but those of us living on the mountain roads in the county can go 3 days or more without roads being cleared, and many, if not the majority, of our county roads are steep, windy, very narrow roads, often with mountain rock on one side, drop off on the other.  It can only take a few inches to make them dangerous.  If we get a significant snow on the front end, we may be shut down for several days or more including Christmas. 

• Social Media Crew
24 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Its almost like a funeral in here, so much hurt 😞

I mean.. I’m thrilled with a storm to track. If it happens to be for our midwestern friends, that’s awesome. If it’s for interior folks like me.. that’s awesome+ 

• THINKING 1
  • THUMBS UP 4
  • BOMBOGENESIS 1

3 hours ago, Weathertop said:

Agreed. Lost overnight Ensemble support from GEPS and most Ensemble support from EPS, too, for coastal storm. Trending in the wrong direction for big East Coast snows.

F61718C2-CFDA-419C-A6CD-361FEA33A72D.gif

60BDC42B-2C48-4DDE-AFE0-CF5010F80DEE.gif

It has trended better for me

I wished we can compromise with all of the plains to the east coast getting snow, but a man can dream. 

• THUMBS UP 1

Wouldn't be surprised if we see this cut way west, to see some CAD and some front end frozen accumulation for the interior as we often see around these parts with cutters. Models a lot of times don't even start to pick up on that until the shorter term like 4-5 day range.

Just now, HVSNOWSTORM said:

Wouldn't be surprised if we see this cut way west, to see some CAD and some front end frozen accumulation for the interior as we often see around these parts with cutters. Models a lot of times don't even start to pick up on that until the shorter term like 4-5 day range.

Agree. A typical 1-4" front end, to slop, to rain event. On the table.

Checks calendar yep 5 days out, looks at models, yep lost the storm again. Looks at towel in the corner safely played on shelf. I suggest you all do the same, always the storms get lost in this time period (maybe I’m wrong but I swear the last few winters it’s been like this in this time period). If you want to throw your towel in I need a bunch for next summer’s pool season. 

I’m also being very optimistic either way pin this one if I’m right, burn it and throw the Homer Simpson gif if I’m wrong 

Edited by Chris2333

Just now, HVSNOWSTORM said:

Yea….this was too good to be true to be honest.  PNA ridge too far west, trough axis too far west with amplification and neutral tilt also too far west, Loss of 50/50.     All terrible ingredients for a big-time cutter, unfortunately.   Time for changes, but not looking too good folks.  Especially for people from say i81 on east.  

• LIKE 2