Annual Nationwide December 25th "White Christmas" Thread!

Ohiobuckeye45

• Moderators

Interesting stat.  Not sure what no snow on ground but new snow (1"or greater") means since that would be snow on the ground.  But only 2 years have had any snow in NYC  since 1999.  Normal odds are 1 in 6.  It's been 12 years, soon to be 13 which will match the stretch in the 70s.

image.thumb.png.4ebf290f8b53f6f7734f384212208a07.png

• SAD 1

On 12/8/2022 at 6:32 PM, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

As eluded to in the long range thread, the 00z GFS will mark the first frame of being inside the white Christmas watch window (technically it will be Christmas eve). The intent here would be to try and keep tabs on "snow depth" maps by 12z 25th", storms that would have the potential for a white Christmas, historical probabilities, maybe even memories/pictures of Christmas storms of the past? Open for thoughts just don't want to turn this in to an extension of the Long range winter thread.

Does anyone have an updated map where the "climate normals" is using the up to 2020 data? If not....here is what we have. I'd presume odds would be lower using the last decade in certain areas

Obviously if we get close enough to where individual regional threads are warranted. We keep the tracking in those, and more of the snow depth maps etc in here

image.png.898cbfa12b345e1f3e7e8fbb0a966919.png

I'm cheating by living in a spot that has >90% chance of at least 1". I had a rare green/brown xmas my first winter here 20/21. I guess I brought a part of Missouri with me 😄, but with a solid 4" already on the ground and a big storm on the way it seems like my chances are 100% this year!

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

48 minutes ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

I'm cheating by living in a spot that has >90% chance of at least 1". I had a rare green/brown xmas my first winter here 20/21. I guess I brought a part of Missouri with me 😄, but with a solid 4" already on the ground and a big storm on the way it seems like my chances are 100% this year!

My favorite white Christmases are the ones in which it is actually snowing.  I enjoy take a decent snow that brings 1 or so inches of snow during the day.  That is how I define my own Christmas. Spirit flakes!

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2
  • LOVE 1

5 hours ago, RobB said:

My favorite white Christmases are the ones in which it is actually snowing.  I enjoy take a decent snow that brings 1 or so inches of snow during the day.  That is how I define my own Christmas. Spirit flakes!

Yea, we had that in 2020. Got 7.4 inches. Set our all time record here in Pgh. It is so rare though. 

• LOVE 1

1 hour ago, Pghsnow said:

Yea, we had that in 2020. Got 7.4 inches. Set our all time record here in Pgh. It is so rare though. 

Yeah, it's kind of weird and amazing how big storms have never hit us really on Christmas or on New Year's Eve and New Year's day too

• LIKE 1

Merry christmas everyone!  This is the whitest white christmas I've had in memory, so white its likely racist......lol

But in all seriousness this is more fitting for Alaska.  5 degrees, light pixie dust snow and drifts everywhere from the wind.  Wife left the van door open a crack and had to remove an interior snow drift too.  

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

Most of the land mass of the country had a White Christmas this year. Not a deep cover in a lot of places but it still counts. 

nsm_depth_2022122505_National.thumb.jpg.346146cd0f15b784ea739e11cb5b3451.jpg

Here in Pittsburgh we set a new record low for a high on Christmas Eve yesterday of 12.

Edited by Bradjl2009
  • LIKE 3

• Moderators

We had a little sleet remaining in a few shady spots, but definitely nowhere near the 1" mark. However, imo, we had something better than a white Christmas. The pond was frozen over and we went ice skating on Christmas!

For y'all northern peeps, that might not be unusual, but for us in Virginia, odds are probably less than 50/50 that we get a chance to skate all year (outside of a commercial rink). Furthermore, the ice is often ruined by snow, moss, or air pockets. This year we had nice, clear, hard, smooth ice. That's kinda like hitting a hole in one backwards through your legs: not that it never happens, it's just really rare in these parts (far more elusive than a snowstorm).

I'm chalking it up as a win.

• LIKE 3
  • LOVE 1

The high today in Miami was only 50°. Not only was that the coldest Christmas high they've ever had, it was also their coldest daily high since January of 2010. I'm sure every snow lover in between Washington DC and i-80 misses the glory of that winter.

• The topic was unpinned