Annual Nationwide December 25th "White Christmas" Thread!

Ohiobuckeye45

39 minutes ago, junior said:

Always hits different when there's snow on the ground and/or falling on Christmas day. Last time IMBY was 2020. Missed a nice storm that slammed E OH/PA but ended up getting light snow pretty much all Christmas morning and day. Was so nice opening presents with the family next to the bay window with snow steadily falling.

Last year I think it was in the 40s and 50s? with rain. Was sad.

We had one a couple years ago that caught me by surprise. And I'm a weather enthusiast lol. If I remember correctly they said chance of flurries. Maybe it was upslope that usually doesn't make it over the mtns. But anyway there was a disturbance aloft or something because it snowed moderately all morning. Until maybe noon or so, we got about an inch that melted from underneath by later afternoon. But the perfect Christmas morning timing was so memorable. I enjoy them and try to savor them so much. We are like 10 percent for them historically here in VA and we've had 4 or 5 in the last 15 years so I'm way the hell ahead. I think this year is as good a chance as you could want a couple weeks out but we will see. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

These are stats for Columbus

"White Christmases are pretty rare in the Columbus, Ohio area. An inch or more has fallen on the date only 11 times since 1878. An official White Christmas, however, is defined as having 1″ or more snow on the ground, not necessarily falling on the day itself. That has only happened 21 times since 1939, with only 4 of those times coming since 2000. So these white holidays are relatively rare.

A white Christmas Eve has been even less likely. 1″ or more has been on the ground on December 24th just 16 times since 1939.

Accumulating snow is not all that rare for Christmas Eve. It’s occurred 31 times since 1878, or about once every 4-5 years. So not exactly an annual occurrence, but it happens at least a few times per decade. However, most of those instances were less than 1″ of snow- in fact, 27 of the 31 times were less than 1″. That means 1″ or more of snow has fallen on Christmas Eve just 4 times in the last 142 years, a very rare event indeed."

https://allcolumbusdata.com/snowiest-christmas-eve-in-columbus-history/

• SHOCKED 1

23 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

couple other notables over the years across the country

image.png.74bc4daf05dbffef14235e58b1bb943f.pngimage.png.6f19002489269b9339b14f7daa8b421e.png

2004 Christmas storm was the best December storm for me hands down. Probably won’t get another one like that in my lifetime. Everything lined up perfectly. Had to go out at 730am and 10am to shovel the driveway so the realitives could find a place to park. Think we got 16”