December 15-17, 2022 | Winter Storm

Penn State

19 minutes ago, Penn State said:

The 00z GFS looks improved.. Crawler. I thought I saw somewhere that it should be fully sampled soon? 
floop-gfs-2022121200.prateptype_cat.conus.gif.274a128e217c329cd2e17936c96fcb36.gif

Yeah, that was me haha.. just looking at the 500, looked like it would be fully onshore this run.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

Euro stronger with the plains storm, and further north, results in a stronger push in warm air and further north coastal.  Used to be that the bias was the GFS was too fast, Euro held things back, but not sure with all the "fixes" to both if that still holds true.  But you can't undo 10 years of biases in humans.  If it still holds, then the answer is in the middle.  Also the high over Quebec is weaker on the Euro.  

models-2022121200-f108.prateptype_cat.conus.gif.acc8eaa9e024a9a745a69b4208f1b0ff.gif

• LIKE 1

55 minutes ago, HVSNOWSTORM said:

Atr we just ignoring the Euro? It's dramatically warmer for all, with less snow, and screws people on the southern end of good snows that the gfs has.

EURO vs GFS 

ecmwf-deterministic-nystate-snow_48hr-1300000.png.3688579198f88cadbf6a1e721ac8a33f.png654593760_gfs-deterministic-nystate-snow_48hr-1300000(1).png.af3a1eb293bcca4b8e10cbe65fde0ce3.png

The short answer is yes, we are ignoring the Eruo. 🤣

• THINKING 1

6 minutes ago, MDBlueridge said:

lol yup

LR NAM is cold, icy and I would imagine will be elevation dependent in my neck of the woods. Dont see a monster push of warm air from the south. 

Trending cooler at 850s the past 3 runs. And the Primary is getting weaker each run.

Edit.. primary actually getting stronger each run. Got my numbers mixed up.

namconus_T850_eus_fh72_trend (1).gif

Edited by JDClapper

From Strerling dscio:

There remains subtle spread and inherent fluctuations between different global guidance on a run to run basis. Expect fluctuations in model guidance to continue, with guidance continuing to narrow down the potential outcomes of storm track, intensity, and wintry precip duration as the ULL trough/energy associated with this storm becomes better sampled over the Pacific NW. Ensemble guidance continues to support an ULL moving through the northern Ohio Valley early Thursday and eventually stalling into the Great Lakes Friday into Saturday before eventually shearing out by Sunday. How far south the ULL tracks in the Ohio Valley in turn will influence where/when a coastal low develops in the vicinity of the Mid Atlantic in this Miller B setup. Confidence continues to increase in a prolonged wintry event ongoing to start the long term at 12Z Thursday. Given the anomalous high pressure north of the region and surface ridge extending down the spine of the Appalachians, wintry precipitation (all types) is likely across the entire area Thursday morning. Given the forecast 850/925 mb temps, snow, sleet, freezing rain, and rain area all a possible. Areas east of the Blue Ridge will change to all rain quicker. Those locations west of the Blue Ridge, especially sheltered valleys prone to hold onto the cold air longer, will see a mixture of wintry precip through the day on Thursday into Thursday night and possible Friday. Travel impacts are becoming increasingly likely during this timeframe. As the ULL moves offshore, there is the potential for a period of upslope snow as several vorticity maxes move over the Appalachians, starting Friday into Saturday/Saturday night. This will be highly dependent on the aforementioned system and ULL pattern. Strong winds are possible areawide on the backside of the low. Temps will be below normal behind the system with high pressure building in late Sunday.

Edited by MDBlueridge
  • LIKE 1

10 minutes ago, MDBlueridge said:

GFS back to sit and stall lol 

P-Types are a guess. But a good bit of frozen precip and cold/upslope behind. 

Yeah, its a 24-36 hour event even here.. which is highly unusual. Typical event, 8-12 hours. But, nothing typical about this setup.