December 15-17, 2022 | Winter Storm

Penn State

25 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Its not as sexy as we saw days ago, but NEPA, verbatim, still seems to cash in on significant accums. 🤷‍♂️

GFS is a foot of snow NEPA into SENY. If PARD ain't happy with that then he probably isn't going to be happy very often.

• THUMBS UP 1

15 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

But I thought it's the GFS that sucks.

faa9245b-f8f4-451b-a57f-ebf267ce3e8c.gif.3a35933b66663e65ac9c18ebb1d97287.gif

Starting to feel more and more like the standard issue 2-5" with mixing/changeover complications these past several suites.

I miss the 2 foot crawler scenario that is so common in these parts.

Still a good sample of members with a decent event in there. A few big ones (9"+). Also, prob 25% duds by a glance.

So are we riding out a few rough suites (are they too warm?) And will they lean back cooler.. or does it get worse from here?

Screenshot_20221211-162018_Chrome.jpg

Edited by JDClapper

• Admin
2 hours ago, JDClapper said:

CTP starting to walk away from big snows as well. Updated text.

Screenshot_20221211-142510_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Oyyyy wtf is going on with models

1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

Knuckleballs are harder to hit than the 4 seamer for models.

I would not be walking away from any big snows right now. 

Models are trying to figure out this pattern. You have a rather strong Negative and West based NAO combined with a Negative EPO and Strongly Negative AO. 

This is why I believe you are beginning to see the primary being shunted south while the secondary is simultaneously being shunted west and south. 

Give these runs time. You'll likely see the secondary correct a bit and I highly doubt the primary cuts N of Chicago. 

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

6 minutes ago, MDBlueridge said:

Look at the slop show the 18z GFS run was. Trying to kill primary. Slop, stop, etc. 

Bah humbug. Changes afoot. 

Its another banger for yours truly into NEPA and NY. Cant believe Im on team GFS at the moment. The world is a crazy place.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Uscg Ast said:

I would not be walking away from any big snows right now. 

Models are trying to figure out this pattern. You have a rather strong Negative and West based NAO combined with a Negative EPO and Strongly Negative AO. 

This is why I believe you are beginning to see the primary being shunted south while the secondary is simultaneously being shunted west and south. 

Give these runs time. You'll likely see the secondary correct a bit and I highly doubt the primary cuts N of Chicago. 

It's not so much the track, as I agree, it's far from nailed down, it's about a cold air feed. The occluded ocean storm brings, basically, a warm front in from the NE.  We'd need to see rapid deepening of the low to overcome the warm environment.  These slow closed low have so much opportunity to drag up warmth.

ecmwf_T2ma_us_22.png.e3465329db9e1d1633ec576d724c17f1.png

With the lack of consistency in modeling beyond D4, hard to discount most solutions. Heck, the funniest thing would be seeing it trend towards the weird pancake runs the GFS tossed out a few runs ago.

At hour 100, I like to have at least 5° of buffer at 850mb.  I'd say 8 out 10 times, we see them trend warmer in the final 48-60 hours.

• LIKE 1