December 15-17, 2022 | Winter Storm

Penn State

• Moderators

So the GooFuS is back on board with a coastal/inland storm I see....shocking 🙄 Gonna be a long week.

Now we just need HM to break out the big daddy hat and we can watch it all go poof from the models....good thing I just freshened up the cabinet with a bottle of Woodforde's

Edited by telejunkie
  • LAUGH 3

24 minutes ago, Poco said:

Sorry had to 

I miss that guy.  I have a feeling when he was younger, he used the phrase "Are we there yet?" many many MANY times from the backseat of his parents' car.

• LAUGH 1

1 hour ago, TheRex said:

I miss that guy.  I have a feeling when he was younger, he used the phrase "Are we there yet?" many many MANY times from the backseat of his parents' car.

He was just a kid back in those accu days. 

Amazing to realize that sone of us have known each other for 15 years now 

• LIKE 2

16 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

EPS giving me about a 2 outta 3 shot at accumulation.

Screenshot_20221210-145726.png.ba2897e762ee2176100797c39309d3c0.png

Down this way, high probability of measurable white. But whats interesting is the noticsble batch of members that go down quickly on Friday. Many must be seeing the mix/changeover scenario possibilty.

Question is, does that make sense with the block? I dunno, Im just a Business Analyst for. Dental Insurance company. Off my back.

Screenshot_20221210-151756_Chrome.jpg

Just now, Poco said:

He was just a kid back in those accu days. 

Amazing to realize that sone of us have known each other for 15 years now 

I started accu during the Oct storm 2011. Stumbled on it, didnt know such a weather underground existed. Blew my mind. Lol

Sterling thoughts for the southern mid Atlantic 

&& .LONG TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/... An area of strong high pressure located over eastern Canada will extend south down the East Coast bringing sunny and dry conditions as upper-level ridging moves over the area on Tuesday. High temperatures will be in the 40s for most with those at higher elevations staying in the 30s. Overnight lows will be in the 20s for most with those near the Chesapeake Bay and metro areas in the low 30s. By midweek, a strong area of low pressure will be approaching our area from the west. The primary area of low pressure will pass to our northwest into the great lakes Thursday into Friday while secondary low pressure develops along the coast and moves up to near New England. There still remains a good bit of model spread. Wintry precipitation of all types are possible early Thursday morning through Friday, with the highest chances of wintry precipitation being along and west of the Blue Ridge Mountains. We will continue to monitor this system as it gets closer and confidence increases. As the system moves offshore, temperatures will be below normal. &&

snow to rain for my neck of the woods , and maybe all rain….

WPC extended 217pm

Through around midweek, model guidance has been and continues to be well clustered for the overall pattern setup involving a vigorous surface low consolidating in the central Plains and shifting toward the Midwest. While there remain some minor wiggles in the timing of the surface low track and its associated fronts, with recent CMC runs on the faster side and UKMET runs a little slower through the 00Z cycle, they seem to be converging a little better for the 12Z cycle. By day 4/Wednesday and beyond, there has been quite a bit more model waffling with the evolution of the upper and surface lows particularly in the deterministic GFS and GEFS ensembles. Yesterday's 12Z, 18Z, and today's 00Z runs indicated a faster weakening and progression eastward of the upper low (and shunting of a surface low directly east) likely due at least in part to interaction with an upstream Pacific upper low that other models kept separate. However, the 06Z GFS and GEFS trended back toward other guidance with these features, and their 12Z runs appear even more in line. So hopefully the earlier GFS/GEFS runs were an anomaly and models stick with better agreement on the type of solution that has been most consistent in the ECMWF suite--namely, the upper low gradually tracking eastward late week which helps to form a surface low in the Southeast that looks to track as a nor'easter near the coast. The CMC had been faster with that surface low for a few runs now, but the 12Z came in slower. There is still uncertainty with the details of the exact track of this potential nor'easter, which will have notable implications for precipitation types across the East, but at least confidence in the pattern on a broad scale is rising especially given the recent 12Z models. The WPC forecast leaned toward the more agreeable 00Z ECMWF/EC ensemble mean and 06Z GEFS mean by the latter half of the forecast period, which was similar to the previous WPC forecast and now to the newer 12Z guidance.

Edited by Poco
  • LIKE 1
  • LOVE 2