December 15-17, 2022 | Winter Storm

Penn State

32 and snow here.  It was snowing hard when I woke up at 6:30 but the rate has slowed down now.  BTV did put some rain back in the forecast.  It almost seems like this week that the night shift puts "rain" in the forecast and the day shift takes it out.  Our forecast through Saturday night is for 6"-11" of snow.  The mountains in the area should get a ton of much needed snow.

• LIKE 2

23 minutes ago, NEK said:

Noob question - why does the precipitation seem to be converging from two different directions?

MaineJay can explain as he is deals with coastal front’s frequently, but, basically, it’s the moist NE/E circulation coming off the Atlantic reacting to the land mass.  They can cause localized intense precipitation rates over land.  Low level circulation versus mid and upper???

I’m in the middle of the state and we have very fine flakes falling which radar is not picking up as they ride in on a light easterly breeze. 
My over simplified noob answer? Think Nor’easter winds of a storm that is coming from the SW.😁

• LIKE 2
  • THANKS 1

We picked up about an inch of snow with the initial thump and now it is lightly snowing.  Roads are horrible though.  We may have had rain to start and it froze on the roads and then got covered in snow.  I drove my son to work and there was one car that was off the road in a place that I wouldn't have expected to see someone had an issue.  When I came back through 20 minutes later, there were 5 cars off in that same place.  I think they may have had some bumper car action going.   

The best road I drove on was the road in front of my house, which is a dirt road. It was snow covered but didn't seem to have ice under the snow.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

Easterly surface winds are creating precip in the lowest levels, while in the mid levels, it's streaming in from the SW on warm air advection.   

I don't know if advancements in radar or software or imagery is responsible for this, or if I never noticed it as much, but I've been seeing these converging images on radar more and more often.  Even in the summer, I'm noticing gust fronts, even with no precip, moving in a different direction from the cold front.  

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

Woke up to bare grass again, just piles left.  It's 42 in New Haven, 40 at the house.  Normally there's a bigger difference.  Sounding from Upton is pretty warm, but they were always going to be rain.  Wish we had more of thes. 

image.png.c05c1e5eafd2c5b8adb3e2fb749f9466.png

But I can get the modeled sounding from the RAP which I think is what they use for the SPC Meso page.  You can see that its barely over 0c most of the 700-925 layer

image.png.fe6f7bcbd8de7b8c8cb3134ac64cbf57.png

• SAD 1

40 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

Estimating somewhere between 6-7" of pasty snow so far. Temp at 31F and winds gusting over 20mph making it hard to get a good reading on the actual snowfall

What time did it start in your area?  From looking at my weather station, it seems we started with rain at 4:30 am while the temp was 36.  The rain seemed to be short lived as the temp dropped to 32 quickly.  The snow is starting to pick up here at 11 am as there was a lull after the 7:30 am heavy snow.

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, TheRex said:

What time did it start in your area?  From looking at my weather station, it seems we started with rain at 4:30 am while the temp was 36.  The rain seemed to be short lived as the temp dropped to 32 quickly.  The snow is starting to pick up here at 11 am as there was a lull after the 7:30 am heavy snow.

Was an early night at the restaurant, got out around 8:30 and had a pasting of snow down already. Turned to a mix of rain/snow by the time I got down to the Manchester valley floor, but changed back to snow as soon as I started to gain elevation again. Maybe a 1/4-1/2" on the ground by the time I got home.

Temp up to 32F now and moderate snow continues...but like an ADD kid, already have my focus on the next one....

Edited by telejunkie
  • LIKE 1

24 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

Was an early night at the restaurant, got out around 8:30 and had a pasting of snow down already. Turned to a mix of rain/snow by the time I got down to the Manchester valley floor, but changed back to snow as soon as I started to gain elevation again. Maybe a 1/4-1/2" on the ground by the time I got home.

Temp up to 32F now and moderate snow continues...but like an ADD kid, already have my focus on the next one....

It seems almost everyone's focus has moved on from this storm.  I feel really bad for anyone in northeast Maine, their posts go into an abandoned thread once the storm gets to them😅

• LAUGH 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, TheRex said:

It seems almost everyone's focus has moved on from this storm.  I feel really bad for anyone in northeast Maine, their posts go into an abandoned thread once the storm gets to them😅

@Mainiac is all...

hey-you-guys.gif

• LAUGH 4

25 minutes ago, TheRex said:

I like his snow pictures, takes time to add all those 4-6” storms up though, will check back late January. 

• LAUGH 1

• Admin
4 minutes ago, TLChip said:

I like his snow pictures, takes time to add all those 4-6” storms up though, will check back late January. 

Hah! It is true I don't get to post with everyone else in the big storm threads, but thankfully I have the daily obs crew to share storm photos!

Also looks like a few more Maine folks have wandered in so maybe late storm actively will pick up a bit. 😂

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, telejunkie said:

Radar returns look heavy down your way. Hopefully it makes it up here. Tonight our forecast is for up to 5". I'd say we have about 2" now.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, TheRex said:

Radar returns look heavy down your way. Hopefully it makes it up here. Tonight our forecast is for up to 5". I'd say we have about 2" now.

It's adding up out there...tree guard on this young crabapple about to be buried.

IMG_6751-2.jpg

• LIKE 5