December 15-17, 2022 | Winter Storm

Penn State

• Social Media Crew

Another thing to keep in mind.. this storm is, and will be, a great case study for future events this winter. I think we all pay attention to model trends and bias, and this is the perfect opportunity to learn. I am curious.. if the GFS folds back to other guidance.. will this be a common theme? The Euro seemed to underperform over the last few winters; however, with the blocking pattern.. it may just be more effective? If the GFS wins out.. You have to give the update some credibility, even though it’s seemed very inconsistent to most of us. 

• LIKE 1

• Admin
15 minutes ago, Penn State said:

Another thing to keep in mind.. this storm is, and will be, a great case study for future events this winter. I think we all pay attention to model trends and bias, and this is the perfect opportunity to learn. I am curious.. if the GFS folds back to other guidance.. will this be a common theme? The Euro seemed to underperform over the last few winters; however, with the blocking pattern.. it may just be more effective? If the GFS wins out.. You have to give the update some credibility, even though it’s seemed very inconsistent to most of us. 

I tend to only clump into 2 week periods. The blocking won't last forever. Doesn't mean we can see a similar pattern set up again.

We just saw a bunch of storms moving up the St Lawrence. Now, they seem prone to driving ESE off the coast.  As models have been showing the ocean storms battering down the heights in front of the approaching continental trofs, not allowing them to turn up the coast.  

There are some similarities to 09-10 in some respects, but it doesn't necessarily mean snowfall distribution will exactly match.

Despite the GFS showing erratic solutions, it hasn't been alone, and a blended approach would still likely show the most skill.

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

Just now, NWOhioChaser said:

In laws are coming from Bloomingburg, NY to Toledo, OH on the 17th. Will this storm be out of the area by then? 

oh and congrats on the storm! I’m glad someone will be getting snow!

Yea I think so.   Not sure which part of i80 they get on in Pa,  but going up 5 mile hill to the poconos may be a little sketchy lol 

Edited by PA road DAWG
  • LIKE 1

5 minutes ago, NWOhioChaser said:

In laws are coming from Bloomingburg, NY to Toledo, OH on the 17th. Will this storm be out of the area by then? 

oh and congrats on the storm! I’m glad someone will be getting snow!

How are they traveling? By plane? Horse and buggy? Food stops? Does your mother in law have a strong bladder? 

Many more details needed. 

• LAUGH 3

33 minutes ago, MDBlueridge said:

How are they traveling? By plane? Horse and buggy? Food stops? Does your mother in law have a strong bladder? 

Many more details needed. 

Yeah, this lack of detail is like getting emails at work saying, "this application isnt working" .. ok, go on... 🤓

• Admin
10 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

CMC tracks inland a bit, pushes the heaviest snow accums into the Apps.

I'm guessing we need the lead storm to be slow enough to keep the cold pinned in, but not so much it squashes the wave.