December 15-17, 2022 | Winter Storm

Penn State

Sref starting to show an increasing chance of some wraparound snow as the coadtal winds up. Could be one of those old, 4-6" thumps, with a showery/drizzly lull for several hours then a couple hours of light snow to add c-2" before departing.

Perhaps.

Screenshot_20221214-201048_Chrome.jpg

• THUMBS DOWN 1

14 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Sref starting to show an increasing chance of some wraparound snow as the coadtal winds up. Could be one of those old, 4-6" thumps, with a showery/drizzly lull for several hours then a couple hours of light snow to add c-2" before departing.

Perhaps.

Screenshot_20221214-201048_Chrome.jpg

perhaps-hmm.gif

• LAUGH 1

4 hours ago, Wayuphere said:

Umm, 40 years of winter driving here in interior Maine.  We have a studded winter tire AWD and a full size 4WD truck.  All well treaded.
When in thick snow and you can’t see the front of your car or what is ditch, field or woods, even a tank ain’t helping you get there quicker, if at all….🤷🏼‍♂️zoom zoom ends badly.😉

I wasn’t saying go zoom zoom I am saying most people that have those trucks think they can go as fast as they want and they’re dead wrong. They  Don’t know how to drive.

Edited by Doser1
  • THUMBS UP 1

16 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

0z hrrr looking tantalizing for the interior.. Poconos and NW. Mixing staying at bay

I love watching how quickly the cold air comes rushing in aloft and turns all that purple to blue once the coastal gets going. Just wish that was happening about 150 miles further south.  Hopefully everyone up north gets their first taste and next week continues to look good for us southerns.

festivus-miracle.gif.790df3aad6a290fe372d44b66bedabb0.gif

Edited by Rush
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
12 minutes ago, Orlando Eversharp said:

How much elevation will be needed to get a good thump of front end snow in the Hudson valley? I am at 800' is that enough to keep things frozen?

I believe that one the east side of the river is there could be some downsloping, which would eat into totals, best to be west of the river.  Not being familiar with your area, I'm not confident in how much elevation you need, but if you are on a hill, it should help.

I am right on the front battle line for this one  in central ct . Jumping from fox hole to fox hole with snoopy . We pop up our heads take a look around and duck back in not much has changed . Still watching and hoping the line shifts south and were in the safe zone 

• LIKE 1

• Admin

The one thing about the airmass being marginal, is that you can actually get good dendritic growth if you are just below freezing.  Generally it's about -12°C to -18°C that makes the best flakes, but if you can ride that 0° isotherm, it can produce.

Precip rates are going to matter a whole lot for many of us.

namconus_T850_neus_20.png.cfbec88c68e0ae20b747745e3ed23842.png

morphologydiagram.jpeg.7ab30ae13440a50b90d091e398e50e4d.jpeg

• LIKE 3
  • THANKS 1

4 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

The one thing about the airmass being marginal, is that you can actually get good dendritic growth if you are just below freezing.  Generally it's about -12°C to -18°C that makes the best flakes, but if you can ride that 0° isotherm, it can produce.

namconus_T850_neus_20.png.cfbec88c68e0ae20b747745e3ed23842.png

morphologydiagram.jpeg.7ab30ae13440a50b90d091e398e50e4d.jpeg

I missed you talking dirty to us.  Dendritic growth.  Oh baby :)

• LAUGH 5
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Southern Maine Snow said:

I have posted on Accu and Disco in the past. Not sure if anyone remembers me but there are a lot of familiar names here. Hopefully MaineJay doesn't mind answering my Maine related winter storm questions. 😂

Mainahs representing! 

E5734407-DEEC-437B-8F6C-F9E0C3BEE231.gif.33df2fe7518f572a045bdf3c30db6331.gif

• LIKE 3

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Yep, for some of us that will be the difference between ZR and plain rain. :classic_rolleyes:

There was just a bit of light precipitation starting to fall as I drove north towards home this evening. Don't think it was frozen, and it had quit long before I reached home.