December 15-17, 2022 | Winter Storm

Penn State

6 minutes ago, NEPAsnow said:

Looks like the gfs hold serve 

image.png.37b2e06c22ee56010b0dd3fce05fdf87.png

The one thing I'm having some issues with the GFS on is how it like to chase convection .. and is that resulting in a "colder" than likely output?  Low should really be near NJ coast, but it's way offshore with a T-storm.

png1.png

4 minutes ago, WeatherFlash said:

Man the port being the PA 🎯  .. toss right? Lol 

For real. lol  I've seen enough for the evening.  Still feeling 4-7" is a fair range here, with a better potential to bust higher, than to dud out.  Still 36 hours away.

• THUMBS UP 2

• Meteorologist

Yea looking like we maybe get a burst of snow and sleet and then go over to FZR for a bit dayside Thursday. I would rather just not be trapped at 30-32 through a good chunk of the rain. With dew points in the upper teens low 20s we stand a chance to fight some of the surface warming. Enjoy the snow north of Harrisburg and in the Poconos! should lay a decent base to start the cold weather. Which should help us for future storms in the coming two week period.

Take a look at skew t's tomorrow evening to get a better feel how things progress.

• THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist

Really the warm push aloft is rather marginal but it is definitely enough to switch over my area, much of MD, and much of SE PA and NJ outside of NW areas. The tricky part is always NYC area. The city itself should be all rain outside of an initial burst of snow/sleet to begin with. Just NW of the city though totally different story by then the WAA push will be aimed offshore/LI region and should maybe transition briefly to sleet which may cut down on totals. Poconos I feel should be all snow, again can't be upset though on a small chance sleet pushes through, Allentown should go over to sleet but probably avoid the FZR.

Elevation will definitely play a much more important role in SNE strong east flow will roar low level temps at lower elevations to be rain while a simple 800-1000' could make the difference to stay snow.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JDClapper said:

The one thing I'm having some issues with the GFS on is how it like to chase convection .. and is that resulting in a "colder" than likely output?  Low should really be near NJ coast, but it's way offshore with a T-storm.

png1.png

Good point. Been trying to figure that out too. Is the GFS still south of the others too?

What up peeps, I literally have no idea why some of us have moved here or the story behind that, but I'm glad I found this place.

It would be weird not to see some of you post every winter season.

I guess I'll still be using both sites for now?

Either way, glad to be here. Hoping for 6" here before the change over, but very complex system.

Happy holiday season everyone!

• LIKE 5
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Blizz said:

What up peeps, I literally have no idea why some of us have moved here or the story behind that, but I'm glad I found this place.

It would be weird not to see some of you post every winter season.

I guess I'll still be using both sites for now?

Either way, glad to be here. Hoping for 6" here before the change over, but very complex system.

Happy holiday season everyone!

Welcome! 

• LOVE 1

• Meteorologist

I see it as everyone can do as they please. There should never be restrictions on what site someone wants to use or visit. In the end we are all here to discuss weather. Glad to see a familiar name around. Hope you enjoy the snow up there a solid 3-6" looks reasonable. 

How intense that warm push will be is important and a potentially a telling sign of how we can we trust temp forecasts aloft and at the surface. NAM/ FV3 rather aggressive with the warmth aloft pushing almost all the way back to IPT, RGEM throws it back to about Harrisburg to Scranton, GFS probably one of the colder solutions overall but still changes it from about Harrisburg to Allentown. CMC similar to RGEM (no surprise there)

Overall I wanna say we track along or just east of 95 with the low while having thunderstorms take-off just east of Delmarva. GFS definitely chasing convection a bit as JDClapper mentioned probably gives it that cold bias. The airmass is marginal at best unfortunately interior hold on cold so they should hover 30-32 but coastal plain will be inundated by late afternoon thursday. If we had lower dews like single digits maybe we could have had a more snow to brief icing situation but it looks like maybe a coating at best and then we may transition quickly to FZR around me. The morning/ midday commute may be a bit rough in locations NW of 95.

I expect advisories to go up west of 95 for less than .1" of icing and maybe an inch of snow. 

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1
  • LOVE 1