December 15-17, 2022 | Winter Storm

Penn State

Saw this kind of mentioned several hours ago and thought I'd check on it now.  (Note, I know GFS/Euro aren't exactly the time stamp, but assume 1mb weakening, for 994mb)

Actual VS forecast, the primary is weaker than forecast from the 18z runs (and 12z Euro).  What are the implications?  Will the 0z suite have a bit of a change?

png1.png

png2.png

png3.png

png4.png

png5.png

• LIKE 2

• Meteorologist

Lets see how strong this CAD is, models always underestimate this. Im curious to know just how low the surface dew points can go. This will surely start out as snow in most locations north of the Mason dixon line as for Baltimore and DC still a little early but a solid wintry mix is expected just NW of the metro areas probably snow before making a transition to wintry mix and maybe rain, gotta watch when that warm push goes through it is small but there. If we do manage decent vvs through the area with this WAA like push could really make for some fun. Dont see much more than 6-8 inches in the highest locations (looks to be central PA and probably the Poconos) I would be perfectly fine with only seeing and inch or two and leaving the roads ok enough. Driving to work may not be so fun.

• THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, so_whats_happening said:

Lets see how strong this CAD is, models always underestimate this. Im curious to know just how low the surface dew points can go. This will surely start out as snow in most locations north of the Mason dixon line as for Baltimore and DC still a little early but a solid wintry mix is expected just NW of the metro areas probably snow before making a transition to wintry mix and maybe rain, gotta watch when that warm push goes through it is small but there. If we do manage decent vvs through the area with this WAA like push could really make for some fun. Dont see much more than 6-8 inches in the highest locations (looks to be central PA and probably the Poconos) I would be perfectly fine with only seeing and inch or two and leaving the roads ok enough. Driving to work may not be so fun.

Sometimes the front end thumpers can really make a splash. A la philly snow bowl 

• Meteorologist
3 minutes ago, MDBlueridge said:

Sometimes the front end thumpers can really make a splash. A la philly snow bowl 

They sure do like to around here. When we have a look like this leading into the WAA push it is no wonder you gotta think this will be one chilly system.

namconus_ref_frzn_eus_38.png

• THUMBS UP 1

4 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

0z NAM did initiate 2mb weaker than its 18z forecast was showing.. and keeps it weaker at least early on in the run so far.  Interesting to see downstream impacts here in 15 or 20 mins.

I can hear the excitement in your posts coming thru my phone. My wife asked "whats that sound?" I said "a nerd" 

• WOW 1
  • LAUGH 2

• Meteorologist
Just now, JDClapper said:

0z NAM did initiate 2mb weaker than its 18z forecast was showing.. and keeps it weaker at least early on in the run so far.  Interesting to see downstream impacts here in 15 or 20 mins.

Less warm overall maybe? There is one thing that probably also needs to be mentioned while this system looks to hit during the late morning early afternoon the cloud cover comes in thursday morning and to watch just how low temps can go. Wet bulb lower and things will be a bit rough. That and given nearly lowest sun angle of the year probably a decent chance for things to stick.

Would also like to see the surface low depicted along the coast of Delaware/VA area rather than near the eastern shore or bay area. Solid 48 hours of shifting temps and surface lows.

1 minute ago, so_whats_happening said:

Less warm overall maybe? There is one thing that probably also needs to be mentioned while this system looks to hit during the late morning early afternoon the cloud cover comes in thursday morning and to watch just how low temps can go. Wet bulb lower and things will be a bit rough. That and given nearly lowest sun angle of the year probably a decent chance for things to stick.

Would also like to see the surface low depicted along the coast of Delaware/VA area rather than near the eastern shore or bay area. Solid 48 hours of shifting temps and surface lows.

13 hours in, still 2mb weaker than 18z and maybe 25 south.. might be some weenies in the Dakotas happy about that who are sitting on the fence of snow/rain.

Just now, JDClapper said:

13 hours in, still 2mb weaker than 18z and maybe 25 south.. might be some weenies in the Dakotas happy about that who are sitting on the fence of snow/rain.

Once we get to 17z Tues though, strength and placement are nearly identical to 18z/12z.  

6 minutes ago, MDBlueridge said:

I can hear the excitement in your posts coming thru my phone. My wife asked "whats that sound?" I said "a nerd" 

We only get 1, maybe 2 of these storms a year here, so yep, a little excited.  haha

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 3