November 25-28, 2022 | Winter Storm Speculation

Penn State

• Admin

Towards Friday and Saturday, the next storm system takes shape. Currently still a wide range of solutions for timing and positioning, but can at least feel a bit more confident in some features via ensembles. That is, confidence increases in a storm system within the region later next week...but details regarding precip type and intensity still need plenty of refinement. Amplifying ridge over the Pacific drives a upper jet across the Rocky Mtns with stacked trough dropping through the Plains. 500Mb trough probabilities in the GEFS have been increasing here, but still plenty of spread in regards to how amplified it is. If it manages to dip into the Southern Plains, interaction with southern stream jet will rapidly strengthen this jet with exit region over the Mid-Atlantic. This creates a scenario advertised by both GEFS and EPS of secondary development in the Mid-Atlantic before tracking northward. Operational GFS depicts a solution on the western envelop of the GEFS, while EPS is perhaps a touch east.

In either case, means carry a 60-80kt jet at the mid levels just off the coast in amidst of the highest astro tides of the month. So, interior or coastal tracking storms should bear watching for splashover chances if ingredients line up around time of high tide.

GYX

• Admin

Like 5 shortwaves shown on the GFS dancing around in the trof.

gfs_z500a_nhem_fh90-228.gif.7deb9b60b4470da2675ddc7c7b3ccd4a.gif

Ukie is the least phased. You can see the closed 552dm ULL pushing through the TX panhandle. Northern stream just cruising along, shearing out the mean trof.

655343620_500hv.conus(2)(13).png.9ef678d93cb3811f276a17a433bea364.png

GFS is dropping a couple 537dm shortwaves into the, basically neutral, trof.

585493451_500hv.conus(2)(10).png.4a42fbb489032f1964b3fcfaa0d9f9b4.png

EC seems to be pretty phased, albeit with slightly weaker northern stream energies.  It's also swinging that base negative, but too soon for us.

130755028_500hv.conus(2)(12).png.1cfe2c2876ddba23e907e72b252610b5.png

Canadian is the most "put together", but the trof axis is pretty far west to pull off the widespread storm idea, and while it's the strongest, it doesn't really "dig", perhaps because it's moving along fairly quickly.

930904573_500hv.conus(2)(11).png.395ae8931229f2c99a67007131ac6a10.png

I'd love a to where one could blend the models.

• LIKE 3
  • THANKS 1

• The title was changed to November 25-27, 2022 | Winter Storm Speculation

This might be something for people up north and with elevation. But we all know that frequently we can get repeats and patterns that recycle. Having this one recycle a few times this winter would be a lot of fun.  To put it mildly. 

I'm about to throw the towel in on this for any real snow accumulation outside of Northern New England and the Adirondacks. I can't complain though; Tuesday's somewhat surprising snowfall and the occasional squalls that have happened since then have given me more then my average November snowfall. I just hope at some point this coming December will be more like December 2020 instead of last December or December 2014. 

• LIKE 1

It’s going to be a nice surprise for sone interior NNE areas but as mentioned there’s not enough entrenched cold for a snowy front end in SNE.  It would need to have sone crazy dynamics to get the snow going below the NY/PA border 

the pattern at hand does feel ripe if timing and some throttling downstream were to come into play down the road from this threat 

• LIKE 1

4 hours ago, Bradjl2009 said:

I'm about to throw the towel in on this for any real snow accumulation outside of Northern New England and the Adirondacks. I can't complain though; Tuesday's somewhat surprising snowfall and the occasional squalls that have happened since then have given me more then my average November snowfall. I just hope at some point this coming December will be more like December 2020 instead of last December or December 2014. 

Indeed. EPS has been less than luke warm on accumulations in Central PA for quite some tine as well. Got spoiled by the early event, gotta come back down the earth. Anything November is bonus. 🙂

4 hours ago, Bradjl2009 said:

Indeed. EPS has been less than luke warm on accumulations in Central PA for quite some tine as well. Got spoiled by the early event, gotta come back down the earth. Anything November is bonus. 🙂

• THUMBS UP 2