Ex-Ian | 160 mph 937 mb peak | Historic and Catastrophic Damage in Florida | TCR Upgrades Ian to Category 5

Iceresistance

• Admin

Admittedly, I'm not learned in reading these phase diagrams, but I think it shows how the GFS keeps this as a true tropical entity the longest.7.phase2.thumb.png.1ca29d4a3771a83bd49ead3e436f4d3f.png

I read this as the Ukie introducing a frontal system of the continent much more aggressively, transitioning it somewhat.

11.phase2.thumb.png.7f769753bedb4d1c23d69b710080542a.png

The ECMWF continues to be about the middle ground, but probably a little closer to the GFS.

6.phase2.thumb.png.9c78f2e9c52d31dfa8bd4539a7e54919.png

Waters west of Florida into the strait are steamy. Last 5 days of this are a forecast, you can see what Ian is projected to to as it moves through.

glfmexsst_nowcast_anim30d.thumb.gif.9306b94eec3285c9f61ddefd4c983847.gif

• The title was changed to Ian | 75 mph 983 mb | Here we go
4 minutes ago, NWOhioChaser said:

Definitely going to hinder it's strengthening. 

Not necessarily. Although possible, we're talking about a CoC that will be over the mountains for what, 6 hours? We've seen with recent hurricanes that this piece of land does not always hinder the storm, especially when the environment remains favorable. With Ian getting himself organized, I'm looking at Cuba as no more than a speed bump. 

The real challenge is when he starts to interact with the cold front. He's going to slow, but the questions are how strong will he be? How close to the coast will he be or will he even be on land? What happens when the storm starts to push moisture into the entire southeast? We're talking about a widespread 3+ inches across most of the southeastern states. 

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1

1 hour ago, Psu1313 said:

Not necessarily. Although possible, we're talking about a CoC that will be over the mountains for what, 6 hours? We've seen with recent hurricanes that this piece of land does not always hinder the storm, especially when the environment remains favorable. With Ian getting himself organized, I'm looking at Cuba as no more than a speed bump. 

The real challenge is when he starts to interact with the cold front. He's going to slow, but the questions are how strong will he be? How close to the coast will he be or will he even be on land? What happens when the storm starts to push moisture into the entire southeast? We're talking about a widespread 3+ inches across most of the southeastern states. 

A lot of the tracks I'm seeing are over the very western tip of the island. If it tracks far enough west it may passover that peninsula on the western edge of the island and miss those hills altogether. 

• THUMBS UP 3

The sheer amount of heat and water this thing is already moving is incredible. We always talk about how hurricanes are engines of a sort. This one is like the engine that powers a huge ship or something. It might be taking a while to get it cranked up and warmed up but the power output looks to be off the charts. 

• THUMBS UP 2

9 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

12z 3km NAM:

HurricaneIan2.gif

So i'm trying to figure out what the IR Brightness is measuring and what it means.  I see it is in Celsius and it appears its warmer further you get away from the eye and much colder as you approach the eye.  But what does this tell us about the storm itself?

• Admin
2 minutes ago, clm said:

So i'm trying to figure out what the IR Brightness is measuring and what it means.  I see it is in Celsius and it appears its warmer further you get away from the eye and much colder as you approach the eye.  But what does this tell us about the storm itself?

Colder cloud tops. The cloud tops are therefore higher. So what it is essentially saying is that the storms around the eyewalls are towering. 

Also - this model has a drug problem. Been in rehab many times. Still goes back. Just saying. 

• LAUGH 3
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • THANKS 1

2 minutes ago, Grace said:

Everybody's too busy arguing on Twitter about political crap to have time for forums anymore. 😆 

Haha. We have to remember that this is a new forum and we've been split in half. There are some good posters over at WxDisco still, even if PM is a bit bipolar. 

Looking back at Ian, there really is no good outcome here, but the best outcome is that he stays 200+ miles off shore and comes ashore on the western edge of the current cone. With this, he will interact with the cold front and hopefully lose a lot of punch before landfall, and hopefully less water would be pushed into the Western coast of Florida. Closer to the coast and you're pushing a ton of water into TB, and onshore early, potentially you would have a major hurricane landfalling in Florida. 

• LIKE 1